Girls in Engineering, Math and Science Camp
PennGems Program 2017
July 24- July 28, 2017
School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of Pennsylvania
Penn GEMS is a week-long day camp targeting middle school girls entering 7th, 8th, and 9th grade that focuses on bioengineering, nanotechnology, materials science, graphics and computing. The Penn GEMS Summer Camp is dedicated to providing hands-on activities to engage middle school girls in applied science, technology and engineering. Goals
- To introduce engineering to girls through nanotechnology, materials science, bioengineering, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, robotics, graphics and computing.
- To make connections with role models and mentors that will help them to visualize themselves as engineers.
- To encourage girls to continue studying math, science and computing and to think about studying engineering in college.
- Emphasis on real-world problem solving, collaboration, teamwork and building self-efficacy.
Note: The Application Deadline is March 31, 2017. Supporting materials should be sent it as soon as possible. Completed applications will be reviewed first. Contact Michaile Rainey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-573-6487 with questions or concerns.
Supporting materials should be sent it as soon as possible. Completed applications will be reviewed first. Contact Michaile Rainey at email@example.com or 215-573-6487 with questions or concerns.
Can't register online? Download a paper application here.
To Complete Your Application Please Enclose the Following:
- Permission form signed by both student and parent.
- One Sealed Envelope with Teacher Recommendation Form from Current Math or Science Teacher. After the teacher has completed the recommendation form, the teacher should place it in an envelope, sign the seal of the envelope, and return the sealed envelope to the student for submission with the completed application.
You may also e-mail this form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.Download Teacher Recommendation form here GEMS Summer Camp Teacher Recommendation Form. Note: Recommendations can also be e-mailed directly to email@example.com. If e-mailed, they must come directly from the teacher and not from the student or parent.
- Application Fee: Non-refundable $25. Only U.S. bank checks or money orders will be accepted. Do not send cash. Make checks payable to "Trustees of University of Pennsylvania" and Memo: GEMS App Fee for <student name>.
- Financial Aid Form: A limited amount of need-based financial assistance is available. Please fill out this form and send it in with the rest of your application materials.
Send All Application Materials in One Envelope to: Michaile Rainey, University of Pennsylvania, 109 Towne, 220 S. 33rd St, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
PLEASE NOTE: Participants from previous GEMS camps are NOT eligible to return to the program.