Eudora on Macintosh Configuration
Note: CETS is phasing out its support of Eudora. If you are trying to decide which software to use, we recommend Thunderbird. If you are currently using Eudora, we recommend you move to Thunderbird; please contact CETS for help with the move.
The latest version of Eudora if available for free download at Penn's Supported Products page.
If you are running OS 9, you must be using Eudora 5.1 or higher;
If you are running OS X 10.2, you must be using Eudora 5.2.1 or
higher. If you you are running OS X 10.0 or 10.1, you can not use these mail settings.
- Locate the Eudora icon in your Applications folder. Launch Eudora.
- When the password prompt appears, click "Cancel." The Eudora
menu will appear at the top of the screen.
- If you receive a dialog box asking whether you want to use the system keychain, click "No."
- If you receive a dialog box asking whether you want to import
settings and mail from another email application, click "No."
- Select "Settings" from the Special dropdown menu.
The Settings menu appears.
- Scroll down to Personalities icon (near the end of the list),
and click on it.
For Each SEAS Personality (most users only have Dominant):
- Username: Type your username.
- Mail Server: Type USERNAME.mail.seas.upenn.edu (where USERNAME is your Username)
- Check mail every 6 minutes.
- Real name: Type your full name as it will appear on all of your outgoing messages. For example, type John Smith.
- Return address: Enter your desired return address. Most users should type USERNAME@seas.upenn.edu (where USERNAME is your Username)
- SMTP Server: Type smtp.seas.upenn.edu
Note: If your computer is not connected to the SEAS network, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may require a different SMTP server setting. If you have trouble sending mail, please check with your ISP for the correct setting.
- Allow Authenication: Make sure this is checked.
- Mail Protocol: Ensure the IMAP radio box is selected
- Location Prefix: Type ~/Mail/
For Each SEAS Personality:
- Change SSL for POP to Required (Alternate Port)
- Change SSL for SMTP to Required (Alternate Port)
- Change SSL for IMAP to Required (Alternate Port)