Eudora on Windows Configuration
Note: CETS is phasing out its support of Eudora. If you are trying to decide which software to use, we recommend Thunderbird. If you are currently using Eudora, we recommend you move to Thunderbird; please contact CETS for help with the move.
1. Double-click the Eudora icon on your desktop. Do the following:
- If prompted to enter a password, click "Cancel."
- If prompted to make Eudora your default mail program, click "Yes."
- If you receive the message to update the mailbox list for the IMAP account to "<Dominant>," and this is your first time running Eudora, "No". Otherwise, click "Yes."
2. From the Tools dropdown menu, select "Options."
3. In the Eudora Options screen, click the "Getting Started" icon.
4. Complete the the following fields for "Getting Started:"
- Real name: Type your full name as it will appear on all of your outgoing messages. For example, type Jane Smith.
- Return address: Enter your desired return address. Most users should type USERNAME@seas.upenn.edu (where USERNAME is your Username)
- Mail Server (Incoming): USERNAME.mail.seas.upenn.edu (where USERNAME is your Username)
- Login Name: Type your username.
- SMTP Server (Outgoing): smtp.seas.upenn.edu
Note: If your computer is not connected to the SEAS network, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may require a different SMTP server setting. If you have trouble sending mail, please check with your ISP for the correct setting.
- Allow Authenication: Make sure this is checked.
5. Now close Eudora. The remaining configuration will be done by the Eudora Update program provided by CETS.
- The Eudora Update supports Eudora versions 5.1.2, 5.1.3, 5.2.1,
6.1, 6.1.1, 6.1.2, and 6.2.x on Windows NT/2000/XP. Other versions
of Eudora or Eudora running on other operating systems cannot
be updated using this script. Instead, please use the manual configuration instructions.
NOTE: You may encounter serveral warning messages if you have old or unused versions of Eudora on your computer. Just keep pressing keys to continue through them, and when the program finishes, contact CETS to confirm that your active Eudora installation is properly updated.
- The Eudora Update will set the new mail check frequency and other configuration options appropriately for the SEAS mail servers. You may click on the toolbar's "Check Mail" icon as often as you like. The "Check Mail" icon is a box with an arrow pointing down into it.
- After you run the Eudora Update, send yourself a test message, and check for new messages. If you do not receive the test message, use webmail and send e-mail to CETS explaining the problem and any error messages you have received.
EudUpdat2.bat (Windows Only)
for Eudora 5.1.2 / 5.1.3 / 5.2.1 / 6.1.0 / 6.1.1 / 6.1.2 / 6.2.x
on Windows NT / 2000 / XP
Right-click and download (save) the file, EudUpdat2.bat. To Download the file:
- In Internet Explorer, Right click, choose "Save Target As..."
- In Netscape or Mozilla, Right click, choose "Save Link Target As..."
If your Operating System is not Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP and you experience a problem reading your mail through Eudora, please use webmail.seas.upenn.edu temporarily and contact CETS to inform us of the problem you had with the Eudora update program.