Outlook 2010 Configuration Instructions
If you are using Outlook 2010, follow these instructions. See the Outlook 2007 Answers article for instructions on how to set up Outlook 2007.
- Locate the Microsoft Outlook icon on your desktop.
- Launch Outlook.
- When Outlook starts, click Next to continue. You will be asked if you would like to configure an email account. Select Yes and then click Next.
- A box appears for Auto Account Setup, click the "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" checkbox. You do not need to fill anything else out. Click Next.
- The next box ask you to choose your E-mail Service. Make sure "Internet E-mail" is slected and click Next.
- The next box will prompt you for your email account information.
In the User Information area, enter your full name and your email
address (most users should use @seas.upenn.edu). In the below example,
the name Jane Smith was used.
- In the Server Information area, type your
incoming mail server (IMAP) name, username.mail.seas.upenn.edu
(where username is your SEAS username). Type the name
of the outgoing mail server (SMTP) as smtp.seas.upenn.edu.
Note: If your computer is not connected to the SEAS network, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may require a different SMTP server setting. If you have trouble sending mail, please check with your ISP for the correct setting.
- In the Logon Information area, type your email user name. For example, type jsmith. You may also enter your account password. If you do so, you will not be prompted for your password again when accessing your email. Be careful when choosing this option.
- Real Name: Enter your full name. For example, type Jane Smith.
Note: Leave the box for "Logon using Secure Password Authentication" unchecked. This does not work with the SEAS mail servers.
- In the Server Information area, type your incoming mail server (IMAP) name, username.mail.seas.upenn.edu (where username is your SEAS username). Type the name of the outgoing mail server (SMTP) as smtp.seas.upenn.edu.
- Click on the More Settings... button and the following box appears:
- Under the General tab, type the name you would like to use for this email account, for example "My Work Email"
- You may also enter the name of your organization if you choose. Enter your email address in the Reply E-mail field.
- Click on the Outgoing Server tab. Check the box for "My
outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication". You should
select the option to use the same settings as your incoming mail
- Click on the Advanced Tab to display the encryption settings for your incoming and outgoing servers. For both your Incoming server (IMAP) and your Outgoing server (SMTP), change the type of encryption from "None" to "SSL". You will notice that when you check the boxes the port numbers automatically change to 993 for IMAP and 25 for SMTP. You need to manually override the SMTP port number; change 25 to 465.
- In the Folders section, enter the Root folder path,
~/Mail/. Click OK when you have finished entering the information and you will be returned to the Add New Account box. Click Finish.
- Start Outlook for the first time and logon. Now you need to go back to Account Settings (File -> Account Settings) and select the folder for your outgoing emails (Sent/sent-mail folder).
- Now you can view your mail folders from the mail pane on the left. Locate the group of folders corresponding to the name you gave to this account in step 6. Your Inbox and the emails that you received "Today" will be listed to the right of that pane.
If you run into any issues or have a question, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.