Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Configuration
Mozilla Thunderbird is a mail client available for free. You can download at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
Note: This guide is for Thunderbird 2.0 - please see the Thunderbird 3.0 article for information on that version.
First, download and install Thunderbird. When you open Thunderbird for the first time, you need to create a new account and configure your email settings. Follow the steps below. Launch Thunderbird. If the account wizard opens, just cancel it -- we will come back to it in Step 4. This page will lead you through each area that you'll have to configure.
1. Go to Tools | Account Settings.
2. Next, click on Outgoing Server (SMTP). Type in smtp.seas.upenn.edu for the Server Name. The port will be automatically set to 465. Check the User name and password box. Fill in your User Name. Use the dropdown "Connection Security" and set it to SSL/TLS
Note: If your computer is not connected to the SEAS network, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may require a different SMTP server setting. If you have trouble sending mail, please check with your ISP for the correct setting.
3. Next click on the Add Account button (at the bottom of the "Account Settings" dialog box).
4. The Account Wizard will launch. On the New Account Setup screen, Select Email Account and click Next.
5. On the Identity screen, you should enter your full name and your email address. Most users should enter firstname.lastname@example.org. Then click Next.
6. On the Server Information screeen, select IMAP. The name of the Incoming Server is: username.mail.seas.upenn.edu. (where username is your SEAS username)
7. On the User Names screen, enter your SEAS username.
8. Finally, on the Account Name screen, enter in a name for this mail account, then click the Next button.
9. On the next screen, click the Finish button.
10. Now we will fine tune your mail settings. If you don't see the "Account Settings" dialog box (similar to the image below), go to Tools | Account Settings.
10A. Server Settings - Click on "Server Settings" in the left hand side of the "Account Settings" dialog box. The option to "Check for new messages" should not be set any lower than "every 10 minutes".
Click on the Advanced button. Type in ~/Mail/ for the IMAP server directory. Uncheck the first two items, as shown below. Then click OK.
10B. Composition and Addressing - Click on "Composition and Addressing" in the left hand side of the "Account Settings" dialog box. Uncheck the first option to "Compose messages in HTML format." Click OK to exit Settings.