Skip directly to: content | search

EOS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Audio Visual Services

Mail/Copy Center

Infectious (Biohazardous) Waste and Glassware/Plasticware Removal




How do I reserve audio visual equipment and services for an event at SEAS?

All A/V equipment and services can be requested on the Equipment Lending Request Form. Equipment lending is on a first come first serve basis.



What is the schedule for pick up and delivery of mail?

The SEAS mail room is located in 166 GRW. Their schedule for pick up and delivery of mail is usually between the hours 8a.m. to 5p.m. Monday through Friday.

What is the correct way to address an inter office envelope?

Please use a complete address. A complete address includes:
Addressee’s full name
Room/Lab number
Full Building name
Correct Mail Code

Federal Express (FedEx)

Can Distribution Center staff track a Federal Express package?

The Mail room/Copy Center does not deliver FedEx packages. It only delivers U.P.S., Fisher, R.P.S. and D.H.L.

United Parcel Service

What time does U.P.S. arrive?

U.P.S. deliveries arrive between 10a.m. and 12p.m. (noon).
United States Postal Service

The mail room has a postage scale if you need to weigh a piece of mail for postage, but do not supply U.S.P.S. stamps and any other Mail (U.S.P.S.) supplies.


Who do I contact regarding moving phones, installing new service or repairing an existing phone or line?

Contact Networking and Communications at 898-2883, or go to the website at



How do I establish new service?

Before a lab is placed on the schedule for infectious waste pickup, it should contact our office to register and to be briefed on the process. During this process, the principal investigator of the lab is provided with standard information regarding this process.
Principal investigators or lab managers are responsible for completing the registration form. For more detailed information concerning infectious waste management, please refer to the EHRS website or call EHRS at 898-4453.

Is there a difference in biohazardous waste containers, sharps containers and glassware containers?

Yes, there is a difference.

  • Infectious (biohazardous) waste containers are used strictly as satellite accumulation receptacles to dispose of decontaminated infectious (biohazardous) waste that has been autoclaved. The boxes and their red bag liners are found in the autoclave rooms on the 3rd and 4th  and should be placed near an autoclave. This is the only place where Stericycle will collect materials for removal.
  • Sharps containers are used to discard all needles, syringes and other contaminated sharps. For a definition of infectious waste sharps and the policy regarding sharps disposal, got to the EHRS website. Each lab is responsible for purchasing their own sharps containers from their medical supplier. When purchasing containers, they must be puncture resistant, closable, leak proof, rigid, autoclavable and labeled with the universal biohazard symbol. Some people use large empty plastic containers (original labels defaced), keep the cap and place a biohazard symbol on the container. The problem that sometimes occurs in these cases is that the container they choose will not fit in an autoclave or may melt because it is not autoclavable.
  • Laboratory Glassware and Plasticware is disposed of in Glassware boxes that are purchased by the lab. The boxes are used to dispose of glassware and plasticware, such as non infectious pipettes, empty bottles, broken glassware and non infectious sharp objects that have the potential to penetrate regular trash bags. Boxes are picked up by housekeepers as long as they are labeled and taped up ready for pick up. The lab is required to purchase those boxes to ensure there is no glass in the regular trash to help prevent potential injuries to housekeepers.

The policy regarding disposal of Laboratory Glassware and Plasticware is available on the EHRS website and should be referred to for complete information.

Is there a charge for Infectious Waste containers?

  • Infectious (biohazardous) waste boxes and the red bag liners are supplied by Stericycle at no cost.
  • Each lab must purchase their own sharps containers. Operations does not  pay for these items.

How often is infectious (biohazardous) waste picked up from labs?

Pickups are scheduled weekly, but if earlier pickup is needed, a two day notice is required. Please fill out a Hazardous Waste Pickup Request Form to make arrangements.



 - Bathroom Supplies

Who should I contact for bathroom supplies?

Please request these types of supplies through Operations at

 - Cold Rooms

Who can I contact if there is a problem with the temperature in a cold room?

 If your unit goes into a temperature alarm, please contact 8-5598 and report the building and location to Operations. A mechanic will be dispatched. If you fail to observe a mechanic within one (1) hour time frame, please contact Operations at 8-5598 again.

 - Communicating with Service Personnel

Should workers (mechanics/technicians/carpenters etc.) communicate their findings or status of work to the people who occupy the space in which the work is being done?

Feel free to discuss the issue with the personnel who come to your office to fix a repair or install a fixture. You can best explain the nature of the job. If you have a complaint or problem with the work, please contact the Operations office.

 - Heating and Cooling

What is the time frame for feeling adjustments in temperature in heating and cooling?

Adjustments in temperature may take up to several hours to be felt. In many instances, the systems are working for an entire building, not just a single office or classroom. Changing the thermostat does not cause an instantaneous change in the temperature. If you do call in with a complaint of being too hot or too cold, please be patient while the
Adjustment takes effect.

For after hours temperature problems:-

 Call Facilities after hours Customer Service at: (215) 746-6620

 - Housekeeping

How can I have my carpets shampooed?

Carpets are shampooed annually on the Housekeeping budget, additional requests require a budget code. If you want your carpets shampooed, please e-mail Operations and your office/space will be scheduled for the service.

 - Lighting

What is the process for replacing light bulbs?

Please fill out the form for General Requests.

 - Plumbing

What is the process for calling in clogged toilets, overflowing sinks and similar problems?

Call Operations at 8-5598 or send a request using our General Request form.

 - Signs

What kinds of signs may I request from Operations?

You may request signs that are needed to identify an office, lab, room or special use area. Signs are provided to provide information and indicate special instructions. Most signs have a pre determined size, format and lettering type.

Can my department be a little creative when creating signs?

 No, there is a standard format for all office and laboratory signs.

 - Trash Cans and Recycling

Does Operations supply trash cans?

No. Should you need trash cans, you must order them as you would order any other type of office supply.

How about recycling bins?

No. Should you need recycling bins, you must order them as you would order any other type of office supply.

 - Window Cleaning

How often can I expect to have my office windows cleaned?

All interior and exterior window surfaces are cleaned once a year during the spring season.