Fellowships and Service Awards

Graduate and professional students are eligible for a range of awards, from merit-based fellowships, to awards given in return for service, to need-based grants and loans.

Generally, students accepted into Ph.D. programs receive awards covering tuition, stipend, and health insurance, often for four or more years. Most Ph.D. students will be appointed as Teaching Assistants or Research Assistants as part of their degree training. Master's students may also apply for positions as TAs and RAs. Upon acceptance, please contact your department to check availability.

Funding Sources

Career Services maintains a centralized list of funding resources on its website. They also provide a broad searchable funding database of these types of awards available here. Our CIS Department also maintains a list of funding and aid resoureces, here.

The Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships administers several fellowships for which graduate students are eligible, and maintains a directory of fellowships, scholarships, and grants.

Student Employment

The Student Employment Office is responsible for managing the posting of work-study and non-work-study jobs on-campus and off-campus. Information regarding part-time job opportunities is available on their web site.

Other places to find student employment information:

  • Career Services (McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, 215-898-7531)
  • The Tutoring Center (220 S. 40th Street, Suite 260) provides paid positions for graduate and professional students to serve as tutors.
  • The Office of College Houses and Academic Services (Stouffer Commons, 3702 Spruce Street, 215-898-5551) employs graduate and professional students as Graduate Associates (GA) in the undergraduate residences. GAs receive rent-free housing on campus and a meal plan.
  • The Graduate Student Center (3615 Locust Walk) employs graduate and professional students as Fellows who develop programming, maintain the website, and staff the front desk. The Grad Center also lists opportunities on its funding sources webpage.
  • Communication Within the Curriculum (CWIC) hires graduate students as senior speaking fellows (Stouffer Commons, 3702 Spruce Street)
  • The Center for Teaching and Learning (3619 Locust Walk) hires grad students for their annual TA training.
  • The Critical Writing Program (3808 Walnut Street) hires graduate students for an assortment of writing positions.
  • The Weingarten Learning Resource Center also offers advising, instructing, and tutoring positions to graduate students in related fields.

This page is excerpted from the Graduate Student Center’s Campus Resource Guide - click here for more information.