AP and Transfer Credits

Obtaining Credit for AP Classes

Credits for scores (typically a 5) in AP exams are given by the University's Office of Transfer Credit and Advanced Placement. Penn's ETS School Code is #2926. Scores must be received by Penn directly if credit is to be granted, so be sure to include our school code in the list of institutions that receive your score reports.

Students in a classroom

Transfer of Credits

In general, transfer credit may be awarded for academically-based courses which were taken at a regionally-accredited institution, passed with a grade of C or better, and are similar in content and classroom meeting hours to the curriculum on this campus.

At Penn, credit is awarded in course units. The normal course load results in eight to nine course units each year. Courses taken for fewer than forty contact-hours each term will not transfer but, when appropriate, will be combined with other courses to give credit.

Credits transferred from other institutions will become a part of the student's official record, but grades will not be placed on the transcript nor used in determining the student's cumulative grade point average. More information on transferring credits for incoming students.