- 2011– : University of Pennsylvania
- Postdoctoral researcher
- 2009–2010: Computer Laboratory,
University of Cambridge
- Postdoctoral research assistant/associate
- 2000– : ORH Ltd., Reading, UK
- Writing and maintaining simulation software for ambulance service operations.
- Summer 2003: Canon Research Centre Europe, Bracknell, UK
- Integrating a named entity recognition engine into Microsoft Outlook, to scan emails, calendar items, and so on for names of people, companies and places, deduce relationships among them, and visualize the results within the Outlook interface.
- 2005–2009: University of Cambridge, UK
- PhD — Construction and verification of routing algebras (see above)
- 2001–2005: University of York, UK.
- MMath, Mathematics and Computer Science. First-class honours with distinction.
A component library for category theory constructions.
Supervised by Alan Wood.
Supergraph enumeration for complex networks.
Supervised by Gustav Delius.
Departmental prize for outstanding achievement, 2005.
- 1994–2001: Reading School, Reading, UK.
- A-levels in English Literature, French, Mathematics, Further Mathematics (AAAB). Mathematics Special Paper (Distinction). GCSEs (3 A*, 8 A), Certificate in Additional Mathematics (A).
At Penn, I was co-instructor for a graduate seminar course on
protocol engineering (CIS 800/003) in Fall 2011.
At Cambridge I supervised students in:
- Algorithms II
- Compiler construction
- Concepts in programming languages
- Denotational semantics
- Foundations of functional programming [now incorporated into Computation Theory]
- Optimizing compilers
- Quantum computing