Codio is a web-based integrated development environment (IDE) that allows us to configure a virtual machine with the software needed to complete the CIS 120 homework projects. You access Codio through your web browser, and use it to create and test homework code. The CIS 120 Teaching Assistants will also be able to remotely log in to project to provide help if you need it.
Activating Your Codio Account
Instructions about creating and accessing your Codio account will be provided in e-mail, on Piazza, and in lecture.
Working on a CIS 120 Project
- Log in to your Codio account.
- Once you're logged in, select the CIS 120 Spring 2018 class and open the appropriate Codio project (e.g. "HW01"). You can see the class and available projects highlighted in red in the screenshot below.
- Once the project is launched, you'll see a screen similar to the one shown below. You can now start working on the homework.
- The Codio IDE is a pretty fully-fledged code editor. See its online documentation for keyboard shortcuts, configuration options, etc.
- There are a few important CIS 120-specific menu options we have provided:
- Run Project - compiles and runs your project, showing the resulting test output in the terminal console. See the screenshot below on how to run (highlighted in red).
- Build Project - compiles the project (useful for debugging and checking for warnings)
- Clean Project - rebuilds the project from scratch (mainly useful if you've made changes to several files)
- Zip - creates a file called submit.zip that is suitable for homework submission (see below)
- Prettify - fixes the indentation on your file, if necessary. Please do this before you submit.
See the image below:
Submitting your Homework
After you have completed the homework to your satisfaction, you need to submit it for grading. Follow these steps:
- Create the zip file by using the Zip menu item from within Codio. This file will be named something like hwXX-(YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS).zip where XX is the homework number and the part in the parentheses is a timestamp.
- Download the zip file to your local machine by right-clicking on it from the Codio file list and selecting "Download".
- Visit the CIS 120 submission site, which will require you to log in with your PennKey and password.
- Upload the zip file to the grade server.