Note to other teachers and users of these slides and resources. Suresh, Norm, Patrick and Joe would be delighted if you found this source material useful in giving your own lectures. Feel free to use these slides verbatim, or to modify them to fit your own needs. Please include all our sources where applicable, since we ourselves build on the work of giants. Please include this message, or the following link to the source repository of UPENN's CIS 565 tutorials: http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cis565/ . Comments and corrections gratefully received.
Last Updated: 10/05/2011
Video used in lecture:
Assignment 0: Fill out the in-class survey
- Beyond Programmable Shading Retrospective by Mike Houston
- GPU Architecture: Implications and Trend by David Luebke
- Fast Computation of Generalized Voronoi Diagrams using graphics hardware (Hoff, Culver, Keyser, Lin, Manocha). SIGGRAPH 99. This page also has downloadable code.
- Programming Graphics Hardware (Eurographics 2004 Tutorial): Fernando, Harris, Wloka and Zeller.
- Interactive Multipass Programmable Shading (Peercy, Olano, Airey and Ungar). SIGGRAPH 2000.
Assignment 1: GLSL Shader Programming. Handout out!
- Image Manipulation by Mike Bailey.
- Efficient Multifragment Effects on Graphics Processing Units by Louis Bavoil. Sections 2.3-2.4 and Chapter 3.
- Fast Texture Transfers - NVIDIA Whitepaper
- Deferred Shading in Tabula Rasa by Rusty Koonce in GPU Gems 3
- Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (Survey) by Nick Porcino
- screen space ambient occlusion (with code) by I?igo Qu?lez
- Finding Next Gen ? CryEngine 2 (126.96.36.199) by Martin Mittring
- Fast matrix multiplies using graphics hardware by Larsen and McAllister (SC 2001)
- Dense Matrix Multiplication by Adam Moravanszky
- Cache and Bandwidth Aware Matrix Multiplication on the GPU by Hall, Carr and Hart (Tech Report UIUCDCS-R-2003-2328-1)
- Understanding the Efficiency of GPU Algorithms for Matrix-Matrix Multiplication by Fatahalian, Sugerman, Hanrahan (Graphics Hardware 2004)
- From Shader Code to a Teraflop: How GPU Shader Cores Work by Kayvon Fatahalian
- A Closer Look at GPUs by Kayvon Fatahalian and Mike Houston
- Slides and Podcasts, UIUC COURSE: Programming Massively Parallel Processors by Wen-Mei Hwu and David Kirk. (Lecture: Lecture 8 : CUDA Threading Hardware , Lecture 9 - CUDA Memory Hardware)
- Introduction to CUDA - Mark Harris (SIGGRAPH 2007)
- GPU Accelerated Uniform Grid Construction for Ray Tracing Dynamic Scenes
- A Parallel Algorithm for Construction of Uniform Grids
- Fast BVH Construciton on GPUs
- Real-Time KD-Tree Construction on Graphics Hardware
Wednesday 10/19: CUDA Performance Considerations (1 of 2) PDFReading:
Wednesday 10/26: CUDA Specialized Libraries and Development Tools Slides: PPT
Monday 11/07: Final Project Checkpoint Presentations
Wednesday 11/09: Guest Lecture: GPU Search - (Tim Kaldewey - IBM Research)
Monday 11/14: Cory (M-Trees) + Igor (Ray Tracing / GI)
Wednesday 11/16: Malu (Conjgrad on GPU + Chun Fu (Deffered Shading)
Monday 11/21: Eric (Mobile Devices) + Robin (Fluids)
Wednesday 11/23: Yuhua (CT Data Visualization) + Nicolae (Computer Vision)
Monday 11/28: Zubeen (Path Planning) + Gabriel (Physics)
Wednesday 11/30: OPEN
Monday 12/05: Wrap Up