ESE 111 (only offered in Fall) is an introduction to the principles underlying electrical and systems engineering. Concepts used in designing circuits, processing signals, analyzing networks, and understanding complex systems will be discussed in lectures and illustrated in the laboratory. This course will provide some of the necessary foundations for students interested in more advanced courses in ESE.
The culmination of this program is a product fair in which students pitch their concepts and demonstrate a working prototype that incorporates a microcontroller, software, sensors, and circuitry.
Please see last year's projects at http://ese111f15.devpost.com/submissions
IMPORTANT : The course is ONLY available to freshmen.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Mathematical models of circuits
- Semiconductor physics and processing techniques
- Processing of analog and digital signals
- Hierarchical organization of networks
- Abstractions and analysis of large scale systems
Class Meets in Moore 216 and Detkin Lab (Moore 101) on Mon-Wed, 4:30p-6P.
Postlab Assignment xx
Assignments (Please see Canvas site)
Postlab Assignment xx
Midterm Assignment TBD
Dan Lee (class) <ddlee_at_seas.upenn.edu>
Sid Deliwala (lab) <deliwala_at_seas.upenn.edu>
Lead Teaching Assistant (Fall 2016)
Teaching Assistants (Fall 2016, this list will be updated)
Jack Kearney <jkear_at_seas>, LinkedIN profile
Ahmad Attia <ahmattia_at_seas>, LinkedIN profile
Lab Syllabus link
IMPORTANT : LAB SAFETY link
Lab 1: Introduction to Circuits and MATLAB
Lab2: Introduction to Digital Logic and Transistors
Lab 3: Intro to Arduino and Programming
- Flash LEDs on and off, change frequency (use of counters)
- Use digital I/O and code to build half-adder (cf. Lab 2)
- Introduce sensors (photocell) and voltage divider (convert change in R to change in V), use sensors to control LED flashing rate
Lab 4: Accelerometers, Motors, and assembling a rover
- Interface accelerometer, servo and dc motors
Lab 5: Interfacing Arduino with bluetooth
Lab 6: Wireless Communication using wifi
- Introduce wireless communication
Final Lab : Using Arduino to connect to Internet, (Internet of things)
Guest Speakers : TBD
() : Final Demo ( presentations and demo)
-Engineering Design Methodology, the final "product design" follows this method quite closely .pdf.
-Demo Day Preparation Handout .pdf,