Course DescriptionThis course is the companion lab for ESE215. The laboratory exercises illustrate and reinforces the concepts covered in the class and gives you hands on experience. You will get an opportunity to work with Arduino based microcontroller boards, sensors + robotics, analog circuits and state-of-the-art electronic test and measuring equipment. The laboratory is equipped with industry standard equipment from Agilent and widely used software including LabVIEW, Matlab and Multisim.
Course outcomes include:
- Enhance the students' understanding of important analytical principles developed in ESE 215 by engaging them in the real-world application of these principles in the laboratory.
- Introduce the concepts of transduction and transducer in the laboratory practice.
- The student will learn to construct electric circuits, carry out measurements, record, display and analyze data.
- By maintaining a lab notebook and writing weekly reports, the students will learn technical writing skills.
Class Schedule / Syllabus
Class Meets in the Detkin Lab (Moore 101). Google Calendar link.
Lab 1. Introduction to Circuits and Arduino
Lab 2. Flashlight Follower
Lab 3. XBees and LCDs and Accelerometer...oh my.
Lab 4. Digital Logic and Transistors
Lab 5. Design and Fabrication of a Cell phone stand, video on laser cutter in the MEAM shop, Solidworks file, ESE205.sldprt . Please send your file to eselabs.upenn_at_gmail.com.
Instructions for assembley. .pdf
Lab 6. Soldering a USB Power charger, assembled board .jpg
Lab 7. Op-amps (Intro and Amplifiers)
Lab 8. Op-amps ( Mini project, Light Intensity Meter)
Lab 9.Capacitors .1 , Capacitors . 2
Last week : work on your extra credits !
Prersentation to Students about Technical Writing .pdf
There will be 3 written report submissions.
1. Report based on Arduino / robotics labs *Report due Oct 26* .pdf
2. Report based on Op-Amp labs *Report Rubric for Op-Amps* .pdf, due Dec 19*
Report Writing Guidelines .pdf
Written Report Structure .pdf
Grading40 % Lab Reports, 30%Final, 10% Lab Book, 10% Lab Attendance.
Monday : Spencer Lee <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 1p-4p and William L. McDermid <email@example.com>, 1p-3p.
Tuesday:Sarah E. Careyva <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 1p-4p and Nick Howarth : Lead Coordinator, <email@example.com>, 1:30p-4p, Jeffrey Shih <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 3p-4p.
Wednesday:William L. McDermid <email@example.com>, 1p-3p and Spencer Lee <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 1p-4p.
Thursday:Cameron Cogan <email@example.com>, 1p-4p and Jeffrey Shih <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 3p-4:30p.