Click here to schedule training.
Please make training requests only when your need is imminent.
Be sure to include the following information with your request:
For operating instructions go to the nanofab wiki (PennKey required for login).
The Explorer-14 magnetron sputterer is equipped with three 3 inch-diameter targets that can be configured for confocal or parallel sputtering. Both metals and dielectrics can be deposited using the 1.2 kW DC power supply or the 600 W RF power supply; Prior to deposition, the samples can be cleaned in situ using the 600 W RF power supply. The temperature of the 12 inch-diameter rotatable sample holder can be controlled by a chiller (option not currently installed). The tool is fitted with a cryopump for reduced pump down times. Argon and oxygen are supplied.
- substrate type and size
- film stack
- depostion layer desired
The following targets are provided by the Facility:
- Al (0.25 " thick)
- Cr (0.25" thick)
- Ti (0.25" thick)
The following materials are approved (6/11/2013) and are provided by users.
- Si (0.25" thick, 99.99% for RF)
- Au (0.02" thick) with Cu backing plate
- ITO (0.125" thick) with Cu backing plate. In2O3/SnO2 90/10 wt% for DC
- Pt (0.02" thick) with Cu backing plate
- Ni (0.02" thick) with Cu backing plate
- Fe (0.02" thick) with Cu backing plate
- V (0.25" thick)
- Al2O3 (0.25" thick)
- SiO2 (0.25" thick)
- TeO2 (0.25" thick)
- The diameter of targets is 3".
- The maximum power which can be applied to 3" diameter target
- Since the Pt target is very expensive, please contact
with Carpick, Agarwal and Gianola group members before use.
- Since a cathode special to magnetic targets is not installed, the thickness of magnetic targets must be 0.02" and the copper backing plate must be bonded with the thin target.
- When the Ag target is used, it is very important to cool down the target for 15-20 min in vacuum before venting the chamber. If not cooled properly, the oxides are difficult to remove with the aforementioned pre-sputtering step and the the user's film will not be homogeneous, or may not have good conductivity. Likewise, the user's substrate needs to remain in vacuum to prevent film oxidation.
- To avoid cross-contaminaiton by Ni2P, GeS, GeSe, GaS, and SiC, the inside of the chamber is completely shielded.
Please contact Hiro if you are interested in sputtering other materials.