I am a Ph.D. student in the PRECISE Center of the Department of Computer and Information Science, under the supervision of Professor Insup Lee.
My research focuses on model-based safety Verification and Validation (V&V) of human-supervised Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS). Many CPS provide a wide range of automation services but still need to cooperate with human users or operators. The potential interactions between the autonomous features and the interaction between the system and human present numerous challenges for safety V&V. I am currently working on two projects in two CPS domains: networked medical devices and automotive systems. In the medical system project (in collaboration with clinicians in the Penn hospital), I am applying data-driven model-based techniques to assuring the safety of human-supervised closed-loop medical devices. One of my case studies is safety design of the artificial pancreas system that treats Type 1 diabetes. In the automotive system project (in collaboration with General Motors), I am developing an analytical framework to systematically identify and mitigate potential unsafe interactions between the rapidly growing active safety features, e.g., adaptive cruise control, lane keeping control, and collision avoidance.
Citation Databases: @Google Scholar @DBLP
- Sanjian Chen, James Weimer, Michael Rickels, Amy Peleckis, Insup Lee. "Physiology-Invariant Meal Detection for Type 1 Diabetes." Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics. (Under review)
- James Weimer, Radoslav Ivanov, Alexander Roederer, Sanjian Chen, and Insup Lee, "Parameter Invariant Design of Medical Alarms." IEEE Design & Test, No.99, June 2015.
- Insup Lee, Oleg Sokolsky, Sanjian Chen, John Hatcliff, Eunkyoung Jee, BaekGyu Kim, Andrew King et al. "Challenges and research directions in medical cyber–physical systems." Proceedings of the IEEE 100, no. 1 (2012): 75-90.
- Junhong Xie, Yi Lin, Sanjian Chen, Tuchen Huang. "Integration Method for Vehicular Network Based on SAE J1939 Protocol." Microcontrollers and Embedded Systems, 2009 No.5 P.8-10
- Sanjian Chen, Daqing Zhao, Ming Gao. "A Trilogy of Technological Venture: Core Reflections on Technological Business."" Journal of Chinese University Technology Transfer, 2007 No.7 P.65-66.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Sanjian Chen, Lu Feng, Michael Rickels, Amy Peleckis, Oleg Sokolsky, and Insup Lee "A Data-Driven Behavior Modeling and Analysis Framework for Diabetic Patients on Insulin Pumps." The IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), Dallas, Texas, USA, Oct 2015.
- Sanjian Chen, Matthew O’Kelly, James Weimer, Oleg Sokolsky, and Insup Lee. "An intraoperative glucose control benchmark for formal verification."" 5th IFAC conference on Analysis and Design of Hybrid Systems (ADHS), Atlanta, Georgia, Oct, 2015
- Andrew King, Lu Feng, Sam Procter, Sanjian Chen, Oleg Sokolsky, John Hatcliff and Insup Lee. "Towards Assurance for Plug & Play Medical Systems."" International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability & Security 2015 (SAFECOMP 2015). (Accepted, to appear in Sep 2015)
- Andrew King, Sanjian Chen, and Insup Lee. "The middleware assurance substrate: Enabling strong real-time guarantees in open systems with openflow." In Object/Component/Service-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), 2014 IEEE 17th International Symposium on, pp. 133-140. IEEE, 2014.
- Stephen D. Patek, Sanjian Chen, Patrick Keith-Hynes, and Insup Lee. "Distributed aspects of the artificial pancreas." In Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton), 2013 51st Annual Allerton Conference on, pp. 543-550. IEEE, 2013.
- Benjamin Kohl, Sanjian Chen, Margaret Mullen-Fortino, and Insup Lee. "Evaluation and Enhancement of an Intraoperative Insulin Infusion Protocol via In-Silico Simulation." In Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 307-316. IEEE, 2013.
- Hoon Sung Chwa, Hyoungbu Back, Sanjian Chen, Jinkyu Lee, Arvind Easwaran, Insik Shin, and Insup Lee. "Extending task-level to job-level fixed priority assignment and schedulability analysis using pseudo-deadlines." In Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS), 2012 IEEE 33rd, pp. 51-62. IEEE, 2012. (Best Paper Award)
- Jaewoo Lee, Sisu Xi, Sanjian Chen, Linh TX Phan, Chris Gill, Insup Lee, Chenyang Lu, and Oleg Sokolsky. "Realizing compositional scheduling through virtualization." In Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), 2012 IEEE 18th, pp. 13-22. IEEE, 2012.
- Sanjian Chen, Linh TX Phan, Jaewoo Lee, Insup Lee, and Oleg Sokolsky. "Removing abstraction overhead in the composition of hierarchical real-time systems." In Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), 2011 17th IEEE, pp. 81-90. IEEE, 2011.
- Andrew L. King, Alex Roederer, David Arney, Sanjian Chen, Margaret Fortino-Mullen, Ana Giannareas, William Hanson III et al. "GSA: a framework for rapid prototyping of smart alarm systems." In Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Health Informatics Symposium, pp. 487-491. ACM, 2010.
Other Refereed Publications
- Sanjian Chen, James Weimer, Michael R. Rickels, Amy Peleckis, and Insup Lee. "Towards a Model-Based Meal Detector for Type I Diabetics." Medical Cyber-Physical Systems Workshop, hosted at CPSWeek'15 in Seattle, 2015.
- Lu Feng, Andrew L. King, Sanjian Chen, Anaheed Ayoub, Junkil Park, Nicola Bezzo, Oleg Sokolsky, and Insup Lee. "A Safety Argument Strategy for PCA Closed-Loop Systems: A Preliminary Proposal." The 5th Workshop on Medical Cyber-Physical Systems 36, 94-99. April 2014.
- Christian Murphy, M. S. Raunak, Andrew King, Sanjian Chen, Christopher Imbriano, Gail Kaiser, Insup Lee, Oleg Sokolsky, Lori Clarke, and Leon Osterweil. "On effective testing of health care simulation software." In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Software Engineering in Health Care, pp. 40-47. ACM, 2011.
- Linh TX Phan, Jaewoo Lee, Arvind Easwaran, Vinay Ramaswamy, Sanjian Chen, Insup Lee, and Oleg Sokolsky. "CARTS: a tool for compositional analysis of real-time systems." ACM SIGBED Review 8, no. 1 (2011): 62-63.
- Jaewoo Lee, Linh TX Phan, Sanjian Chen, Oleg Sokolsky, and Insup Lee. "Improving resource utilization for compositional scheduling using DPRM interfaces." ACM SIGBED Review 8, no. 1 (2011): 38-45.
- Teaching Assistant, CIS 541/441, "Embedded Software for Life-Critical Applications", Fall 2012, Fall 2011, Fall 2010, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Teaching Assistant, CIS 540, "Principles of Embedded Computation", Spring 2011, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Teaching Assistant, EAS 105, "Introduction to Scientific Computing", Fall 2008, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Journal & Conference Reviewer/Secondary-Reviewer
- IEEE Design & Test 2015
- Symposium on Dependable Software Engineering Theories, Tools and Applications (SETTA 2015)
- Wireless Health Conference 2015
- IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS 2009, RTSS 2010, RTSS 2011, RTSS 2012, RTSS 2013, RTSS 2014);
- IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS 2011, RTAS 2012, RTAS 2014);
- International Conference on Embedded Software (EMSOFT 2011, EMSOFT 2012);
- ACM/IEEE Third International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS 2010, ICCPS 2013);
- Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE 2013);
- IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA 2012);
- International Conference on Formal Modeling and Analysis of Timed Systems (FORMATS 2012, FORMATS 2014);
- IEEE International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (RTCSA 2011);
- IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD 2011, ICCAD 2012);
- International Symposium on Automated Technology for Verification and Analysis (ATVA 2011, ATVA 2013, ATVA 2014);
- International Symposium on Foundations of Health Information Engineering and Systems (FHIES 2011, FHIES 2012);
- International Conference Body Sensor Networks (BSN 2010).
- US National Science Foundation (NSF) Student Travel Award for the IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics 2015 (ICHI 2015) in Dallas, TX
- The 33rd IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS'12) Best Paper Award, San Juan, Puerto Rico, December 2012
- Ph.D. Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2009 to present
- US National Science Foundation (NSF) Student Travel Award for Cyber-Physical Systems Week (CPSWeek) 2011 in Chicago, IL
- Tsinghua University Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis Award (Top 5%), Beijing, China, June 2008
- Tsinghua University Excellent Student Research Training Program Award, Beijing, China, 2007
- Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ Bank Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2007
- HUANG Qianheng Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2006
- GUANGHUA Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 2005