[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[NIKHIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU: Miranda available]

Date: Wed 20 Jan 88 13:54:45-EST
From: Rishiyur S. Nikhil <NIKHIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Miranda available
To: csg@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Cc: ppg@VX.LCS.MIT.EDU, mbr@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

With Andy Boughton's help, I have installed Miranda on Newt.  This
version is the first ``official'' release (we had a pre-release
version before).

It has a fairly non-trivial system organization, including:
- a simple module organization, based on files
- compiled versions of source files, including automatic
  maintenance of consistency. (Compiled code = combinators,
  though I don't know what kind.)
- direct transfer between Miranda and a text editor (you can
  choose your editor, I have set the default to emacs)
- automatic recompilation of edited files
- reading, writing, appending to Unix files, including stdin, stdout,
   stderr, ...
- standalone Miranda programs (yes, you can write a Unix filter
   in Miranda)
- ``literate script'' convention, borrowed from the Oxford language
  OL.

To run Miranda, say

    mira

to newt's Unix shell prompt.

Copies of the manual (printed version of the online manual) are
in the document room.  It includes a 7-page overview of Miranda.

One place in the manual (section 30) says:

  ``... is intended to be useable for large scale projects, and
    not just for programming `in the small' ...''

Judge for yourselves!  Enjoy!

Nikhil
-------