[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

talk at MIT: Curtis `Strong Typing in Scheme', 10/4/88

			   Strong Typing in Scheme

				Pavel Curtis
			 Computer Science Laboratory
				 Xerox PARC

	    Tues, Oct 4, 2:30pm (refreshments at 2:00, probably)
		      545 Technology Square, Room 512A

Abstract: Compile-time checking of data type usage in programs has
long been recognized as a helpful tool for discovering and preventing
bugs in programs.  Some have even claimed that such static type
analysis (called ``strong typing'') is a prime enabler of the
construction of robust large software systems.  Previously-known
techniques for strong typing, however, have allowed only very strict
and inflexible type systems to be built, such as those of Pascal and
ML.  Mixing the advantages of strong typing with the great flexibility
and expressive power of languages like Scheme has not yet appeared
possible.  Recent work, however, appears to have made great strides
toward this goal.  We have thus been inspired to begin serious work on
a practical system for strong typing in Scheme.  We believe that the
facilities in our current system will prove sufficient to account for
the type safety of most existing Scheme code, including programs that
make significant use of polymorphism, side-effects, continuations, and
higher-order procedures.  This talk will cover the major points of our
system and the current status of the work in progress.