[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CTRS '90 (Program)

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 23:57:46 -0400

             THE SECOND INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON
            CONDITIONAL AND TYPED REWRITING SYSTEMS
                          (CTRS '90)

                      THIRD ANNOUNCEMENT
   (Information on program, accomodation, registration, etc.)

               June 11-14, 1990, Montreal, Canada

                         Sponsored by
           Centre de recherche informatique de Montreal
                             and
                     Concordia University

                       with support from
   Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada

                            TIME

June 11-14, 1990, beginning at 9:30 A.M. on June 11.

                           PLACE

Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The CTRS Workshop will take place at the downtown Sir George
Williams campus of Concordia University, in the Hall Building at
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West.  Most events will take place in
the Faculty Club on the 7th floor; some others will take place
in the Department of Computer Science on the 9th floor.

Keynote lectures by:

V. Breazu-Tannen & J. Gallier, H. Ganzinger, J. Hsiang, J. W. Klop,
J. Meseguer, A. R. Meyer, and J. L. Remy.

Sessions on:

Theory of Conditional and Horn Clause Systems
Non-terminating Systems and Infinite Terms
Extension of Knuth-Bendix Completion
Extension of Classical Techniques in Rewriting Theory
Theorem Proving
Combined Systems, Combined Languages and Modularity
Architecture, Compilers and Parallel Computation
Typed Systems and Order-sorted Systems
Extension of Unification and Narrowing Techniques

Program Committee:

R. V. Book (Santa Barbara), N. Dershowitz (Urbana)(*), K. Futatsugi (Tsukuba),
H. Ganzinger (Dortmund), J. P. Jouannaud (Paris)(*), S. Kaplan (Jerusalem)(*),
J. W. Klop (Amsterdam), J. Meseguer (Menlo Park), M. Okada (Montreal)(*)(**),
D. Plaisted (Chapel Hill), J. L. Remy (Nancy)

(*)  Co-organizers
(**) Chairperson

                     CTRS '90 PROGRAM

Papers with '*' are "short papers".
Papers without '*' are "regular papers".

Sunday, June 10, evening

7:00pm-8:00pm WELCOMING RECEPTION AND REGISTRATION (Faculty Club)

Monday, June 11, morning

 8:30- 9:30 coffee and donuts, registration
 9:30-10:20 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Jan Willem Klop (CWI)
            "Extended Rewriting Systems" (with Roel de Vrijer)

10:30-12:30 SESSION ON THEORY OF CONDITIONAL AND HORN CLAUSE SYSTEMS
10:30-10:50 F. Bronsard and U. Reddy (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
            "Conditional Rewriting in Focus"
10:50-11:10 E. Kounalis and M. Rusinowitch (Univ. de Nancy)
            "Inductive Reasoning in Conditional Theories"
11:10-11:30 discussion
11:35-11:55 N. Dershowitz (Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
            "A Maximal-Literal Unit Strategy for Horn Clauses"
11:55-12:15 P. Padawitz (Univ. Passau)
            "Reductive Validity"
12:15-12:35 discussion

12:35- 2:00 LUNCH AND INFORMATION SESSION (Faculty Club dining room)

 2:10- 3:00 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Jose Meseguer (SRI International)
            "Getting Rid of Conditional Equations" (with Hitoshi Aida)

 3:00- 5:00 SESSION ON NON-TERMINATING SYSTEMS AND INFINITE TERMS
 3:00- 3:20 H. Chen, J. Hsiang and H.-C. Kong (SUNY at Stony Brook)
           "On Finite Representation of Infinite Sequences of Terms"
 3:20- 3:40 Y. Chen and M. J. O'Donnell (Univ. of Chicago)
           "Infinite Terms and Infinite Rewritings"
 3:40- 4:00 discussion
 4:00- 4:20 Y. Chen and M. J. O'Donnell (Univ. of Chicago)
           "Testing Confluence of Nonterminating Rewriting Systems"
 4:20- 4:40 H. Kirchner and M. Hermann (Univ. de Nancy)
           "Meta-rule Synthesis from Crossed Rewrite Systems"
 4:40- 5:00 discussion

 5:00- 5:30 coffee break

 5:30- 6:30 PANEL DISCUSSION:
            Future Directions for Extensions of Rewriting Systems

Tuesday, June 12, morning

 8:30- 9:00 coffee and donuts
 9:00- 9:50 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Harald Ganzinger (Univ. Dortmund)
            "Completion of First-Order Clauses with Equality by Strict
            Superposition (Part I)" (with Leo Bachmair)

 9:55-12:40 SESSION ON EXTENSION OF KNUTH-BENDIX COMPLETION
 9:55-10:15 L. Bachmair (SUNY at Stony Brook) and H. Ganzinger (Univ. Dortmund)
            "Completion of First-Order Clauses with Equality by Strict
            Superposition (Part II)"
10:15-10:35 E. Bevers and J. Lewi (Katholieke Univ. Leuven)
            "Proof by Consistency in Conditional Equational Theories"
10:35-10:50*L. Duponcheel (Alcatel Bell Research Centre, Belgium)
            "Typed Completion"
10:50-11:15 discussion
11:15-11:35 R. Nieuwenhuis and F. Orejas (Univ. Politecnica de Cataluna)
            "Clausal Rewriting"
11:35-11:55 H. Bertling (Universitaet Dortmund)
            "Knuth-Bendix Completion Of Horn Clause Programs For
            Restricted Linear Resolution And Paramodulation"
11:55-12:10*H. Devie (Univ. de Paris-Sud)
            "A Counter-example Concerning Ordered Completion and a New
            Completion Procedure"
12:10-12:40 discussion

12:40- 2:00 lunch break

Tuesday, June 12, afternoon

 2:00- 2:10 coffee
 2:10- 3:00 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Jieh Hsiang (SUNY at Stony Brook)
            "Knuth-Bendix Completion as Semi-Decision Procedure"

 3:10- 7:30 SESSION ON EXTENSION OF CLASSICAL TECHNIQUES IN REWRITING THEORY
 3:10- 3:25*C. K. Mohan (Syracuse Univ.)
            "Equivalences of Rewrite Programs"
 3:25- 3:40*Y. Sun (Univ. of Edinburgh)
            "Equational Logics (Birkhoff's Method Revisited)"
 3:40- 3:55*B. R. Hodgson (Univ. Laval) and C. F. Kent (Lakehead Univ.)
            "Ordinal Interpretations for Termination of Rewriting Systems"
 3:55- 4:20 discussion

 4:20- 7:30 SESSION ON THEOREM PROVING
 4:20- 4:35*F. Debart, P. Enjalbert, M. Lescot (Univ. de Caen)
            "Multi-Modal Automated Deduction Using Equational and
            Order-Sorted Logic."
 4:35- 4:50*M. Lai (Royal Holloway and Bedford New College)
            "Using a Term Rewriting Tool to Derive Commutativity for Rings
            Satisfying x^5 = x"
 4:50- 5:10 discussion

 5:10- 7:00 system demonstrations

            S. Anantharaman, N. Andrianarivelo (Univ. d'Orleans),
            M. P. Bonacina and J. Hsiang (SUNY at Stony Brook)
            "SBR3: A Refutational Prover for Equational Theorems"

            N. Rajagopal, K. Slind, and G. Birtwistle (Univ. of Calgary)
            "cHOL - A Proof Development System for Higher-Order Logic"

            M. C. J. D. van Eekelen, M. J. Plasmeijer
            and J. E. W. Smetsers (Univ. Nijmegen)
            "Concurrent Clean"

            Some other systems will be demonstrated informally.

Wednesday June 13, morning

 8:30- 9:00 coffee and donuts
 9:00- 9:50 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Jean Gallier and Val Breazu-Tannen (Univ. of Pennsylvania)
            "Mixing Algebraic Rewriting with Beta, Eta-Reduction in
            Typed Lambda-Calculi"

10:00-12:30 SESSION ON COMBINED SYSTEMS, COMBINED LANGUAGES AND MODULARITY
10:00-10:20 D. Plump (Univ. Bremen)
            "Implementing Term Rewriting by Graph Reduction:
            Termination of Combined Systems"
10:20-10:40 F. Barbanera (Univ. di Torino)
            "Adding Algebraic Rewriting to the Calculus of
            Construction: Strong Normalization Preserved"
10:40-11:00 discussion
11:00-11:20 A. Middeldorp (Vrije Univ.)
            "Confluence of the Disjoint Union of Conditional
            Term Rewriting Systems"
11:20-11:40 N. Lichtenstein (Bar-Ilan Univ.) and
            S. Kaplan (Bar-Ilan Univ., Univ. de Paris-Sud)
            "FPL : Functional Plus Logic Programming"
11:40-12:00 W. Bousdira and J.-L. Remy (Univ. de Nancy)
            "On Sufficient Completeness of Conditional Specifications"
12:00-12:30 discussion

12:30- 2:00 lunch break

Wednesday June 13, afternoon

 2:10- 3:00 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Albert R. Meyer (MIT)
            "Term Rewriting Using Structured Operational Semantics"

 3:10- 5:30 SESSION ON ARCHITECTURE, COMPILERS AND PARALLEL COMPUTATION
 3:10- 3:30 L. Galbiati (Zycad Corp.) and C. Talcott (Stanford Univ.)
            "A Simplifier for Untyped Lambda Expressions"
 3:30- 3:50 H. Aida, J. Goguen and J. Meseguer (SRI International)
            "Compiling Concurrent Rewriting onto the Rewrite Rule Machine"
 3:50- 4:10 discussion
 4:10- 4:30 M. C. J. D. van Eekelen, M. J. Plasmeijer
            and J. E. W. Smetsers (Univ. Nijmegen)
            "Parallel Graph Rewriting on Loosely Coupled
            Machine Architectures"
 4:30- 4:45*P. Grogono (Concordia Univ.)
            "Code Generation by Term Rewriting"
 4:45- 5:05 S. Antoy (Virginia Tech)
            "Design Strategies for Rewrite Rules"
 5:05- 5:30 discussion

 5:40- 6:30 PANEL DISCUSSION:
            Rewriting Techniques and Programming Languages

Thursday, June 14, morning

 8:30- 9:00 coffee & donuts
 9:00- 9:50 KEYNOTE LECTURE:
            Jean-Luc Remy (Univ. de Nancy)
            "Advances in the Mechanization of Conditional Reasoning"

10:00-11:50 SESSION ON TYPED SYSTEMS AND ORDER-SORTED SYSTEMS
10:00-10:20 U. Waldmann (Univ. Dortmund)
            "Compatibility of Order-Sorted Rewrite Rules"
10:20-10:40 J. G. Stell (Univ. of Keele)
            "Order Sorted Theories as Monads:  A Term Rewriting Viewpoint"
10:40-11:00 discussion
11:00-11:20 R. M. Amadio (Ecole Normale Superieure)
            "Typed Equivalence, Type Assignment and Type Containment"
11:20-11:35*M. Emele and  R. Zajac (Univ. Stuttgart)
            "Semantics for Feature Type Systems"
11:35-11:50 discussion

12:00-12:30 report from the organizors
12:30- 2:00 lunch

Thursday, June 14, afternoon

 2:00- 4:30 SESSION ON EXTENSION OF UNIFICATION AND NARROWING TECHNIQUES
 2:00- 2:20 J. Darlington and Y. Guo (Univ. of Chicago)
            "Constraint Narrowing"
 2:20- 2:40 T. Nipkow (Univ. Cambridge)
            "Higher-Order Unification, Polymorphism, and Subsorts"
 2:40- 2:55*G. Aguzzi, U. Modigliani and M. C. Verri (Univ. di Firenze)
            "An Universal Termination Condition for Solving Goals in
            Equational Languages"
 2:55- 3:30 discussion
 3:30- 3:50 W. Snyder and C. Lynch (Boston Univ.)
            "An Inference System for Horn Clause Logic with Equality:
            A Foundation for Conditional $E$-Unification and for
            Logic Programming in the Presence of Equality"
 3:50- 4:05*Z. Qian (Univ. Bremen)
            "Unification in Combinations of Second-Order Types
            and Collapse-free Regular Theories"
 4:05- 4:30 discussion

 4:30 CLOSING

                          TRAVEL

Montreal is served by two airports:  Dorval (for flights
originating in Canada or the USA), and Mirabel (for other
international flights).  At each airport, there is an "Aerocar"
service bringing passengers to the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in
downtown Montreal.  On the afternoon and evening of June 10, and
on the morning of June 11, there will be a limousine service from
the Queen Elizabeth Hotel to the places where accomodation has
been arranged for the Workshop.

Amtrack, the US passenger rail service, has two daily trains (one
during the day; the other at night) to Montreal from New York
City.  The trip takes about ten hours, and costs about US $79 for
a round trip ticket.  It is possible to connect with these trains
>from Philadelphia, or other eastern US cities.

                       ACCOMODATION

(1) Dormitories:

Concordia University's student dormitories are located at the
suburban Loyola Campus (about 15 minutes by Concordia's school
bus from the downtown Hall Building).  Dormitory rooms may be
reserved at the following rates:

     Student rate (Bring student ID):
                 $16/day for a single room
                 $32/day ($16 each) for a double room

     Non-student rate:
                 $22/day for single
                 $34/day ($17 each) for double

A deposit of 25% is required with your reservation.  A reservation form
form is provided below.

Special rates have been arranged for the hotel rooms and apartments
listed below.  When reserving, please indicate that you are attending
the CTRS conference at Concordia University.

(2) Hotel:

A limited number of hotel rooms have been held aside for the CTRS
Workshop at the Manoir Le Moyne Hotel, about a five minute walk
>from the Workshop location at the downtown Hall Building.

Studio (1 double bed) with kitchenette (1 or 2 people): $70/day

Deluxe (2 beds) with kitchenette (2 people):            $90/day

Executive suite (3 beds) with kitchenette (3 people):  $100/day

All rates are in Canadian dollars.  CAN $1 = (approx.) US $0.80

For reservations, call or write to

              Hotel Manoir Le Moyne
              Reservation Office (ATTN: Ms. Anna Korn)
              2100 boul. de Maisonneuve O.
              Montreal, Quebec  H3H 1K6
              CANADA

        Tel.: (514) 931-8861
              (800) 361-7191 (from Canada or Eastern USA)

        Fax:  (514) 931-7726

Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis, and must be
made before the deadline of May 11, 1990.  The hotel will require
a deposit (to cover the first day) or a major credit card for
reservations.

(3) Apartment suites:

Apartment suites are available at weekly rates at Le Monfort, also
about a five minute walk from the Workshop site.

Studio apartment with one sofa-bed (1 or 2 people): $360/8 nights

One bedroom suite with one double bed (2 people):   $545/8 nights

Extra person:                                       $ 56/8 nights

All rates are in Canadian dollars.  CAN $1 = (approx.) US $0.80

For reservations, call or write to

              Le Monfort
              Reservation Office (ATTN: Ms Gisele Gariepy)
              1975 boul. de Maisonneuve O.
              Montreal, Quebec  H3H 1K4
              CANADA

       Tel.:  (514) 934-0916
       Fax:   (514) 939-2552
       Telex: 055-61766

Le Monfort requires a deposit of $50 or a major credit card for
reservations.

8<------------------------ CUT HERE --------------------------->8

                   CTRS 90 REGISTRATION FORM

Name: ___________________________________________

Affiliation: _________________________________

Address: ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________

Phone:   _______________________

E-mail:  _______________________

Expected date of arrival: ____________

Expected time of arrival: ____________

I am enclosing a bank draft or money order for (check one)

         ___  CDN $120.00 or US $100.00 (Non-students, before May 7)
         ___  CDN $ 25.00 or US $ 21.00 (Students, before May 7)
         ___  CDN $150.00 or US $125.00 (Non-students, after May 7)
         ___  CDN $ 35.00 or US $ 29.00 (Students, after May 7)

Also included in the amount of my payment is ______ as a deposit for
my dormitory reservation.  (Enclose completed dormitory reservation
form.)

If you are paying the student rate, please bring your student ID card
for presentation at the registration desk.  Note that the student rate
does not include a copy of the Workshop proceedings.

8<------------------------ CUT HERE --------------------------->8

                     DORMITORY RESERVATION
                  (Must be received by May 7)
  (Reservations will be made on a first-come, first-served basis)

(Do NOT use this form for hotel or apartment reservations.)

Name: ________________________________________

Affiliation: _________________________________

Address: ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________
         ________________________________

Phone:   _______________________

E-mail:  _______________________

Rooms are available for the Workshop from the evening of June 10
until the morning of June 15.

Single room, student rate
   CDN $16.00 (US $13.50) * ____ nights =  _______
   Deposit required:
       CDN $4.00/night or
       US  $3.50/night

Single room, non-student rate
   CDN $22.00 (US $18.50) * ____ nights =  _______
   Deposit required:
       CDN $5.50/night or
       US  $4.75/night

Double room, student rate
   CDN $32.00 (US $27.00) * ____ nights =  _______
   Deposit required:
       CDN $8.00/night or
       US  $6.75/night

Double room, non-student rate
   CDN $34.00 (US $28.50) * ____ nights =  _______
   Deposit required:
       CDN $8.50/night or
       US  $7.25/night

Number of men _____        Number of women _____

Arrival date _________     Arrival time ________

Departure date _______     Departure time ______

It is not necessary to make separate payments for dormitory deposit
and registration fee.  Please include the appropriate deposit with
your bank draft or money order, along with your registration fee.
The remainder (75%) of your dormitory payment is due on arrival.

8<------------------------ CUT HERE --------------------------->8

Bank draft or money order in Canadian or US funds should be made
payable to CTRS '90 and mailed with completed form(s) to

               CTRS '90
               c/o Prof. M. Okada
               Department of Computer Science
               Concordia University