[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: commutative diagrams formatting package

To: pt@doc.imperial.ac.uk, pratt@cs.stanford.edu
Cc: types@theory.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 17:34:45 +0100

Concerning Paul Taylor's
>       *** DISCUSSION POINT ***
>	One person complained at being asked to acknowledge me in his
>	published papers.  TeX & LaTeX are now standard and
>	indispensible tools, so we should credit Knuth & Lamport. What
>	do you think are the pros & cons of such acknowledgement?

I think that when something becomes `standard and indispensible', maybe that's
the time to stop acknowledging its creator. In other words, I would (and have)
acknowledge use of Paul's commutative diagram macros as a means of
drawing my colleague's attention to a nice set of macros which they might find
useful---so I would put such acknowlegements in material which is going to see
the light of day rapidly (conference proceedings, tech reports, etc), but
probably not in journal articles and books.

Andy Pitts