[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

reference required

[------ The Types Forum ------- http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~types ------]

Where in Principia Mathematica do Whitehead and Russell discuss
"typical ambiguity"?  This concept has often been claimed to be the
precursor of the modern notion of polymorphism.  I have combed through
my copy and the closest thing I can find is the section entitled
"systematic ambiguity of truth and falsehood" starting on page 41.
However, this discussion seems to concern the order of a proposition
as opposed to its (simple) type.  Moreover I could not find the actual
phrase "typical ambiguity" anywhere.

Please reply by email; I'll circulate any references submitted.  Thanks!
--
Lawrence C Paulson, University Lecturer
Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge,