[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paper announcement: Simple Efficient Object Encoding using Intersection Types

I would like to announce the following paper, available at the URL

     http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/crary/papers

Any comments would be most appreciated.

	-- Karl Crary

Simple, Efficient Object Encoding using Intersection Types

Karl Crary
Cornell University

Abstract:

I present a type-theoretic encoding of objects that interprets method
dispatch by self-application (i.e., method functions are applied to the
objects containing them) but still validates the expected subtyping
relationships.  The naive typing of self-application fails to validate
the expected subtyping relationships because it is too permissive and
allows application to similarly typed objects that are not self.  This
new encoding solves this problem by constraining methods to be applied
only to self using existential and intersection types.  Using this
typing, I give a full account of objects including self types and method
update.  I also present another application of this object encoding to
fully abstract, closure-passing closure conversion.  The typing
constructs used in this encoding appear to be quite rich, but they may
be axiomatized in a novel, restricted fashion that is metatheoretically
simple.