[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Subject reduction fails in Java

Dear Benjamin,

The subject reduction problem with Java discussed in your message in the
types-mailing list is very interesting.  I believe that it is closely
related to the notion of typed reduction we have been studying in our work
on Coercive Subtyping (see, for example, my papers [1][2] for the
description of the framework.)

Java-conversions (the widening conversions) can be regarded as what we
have called "coercions". In the framework of coercive subtyping, if
f:K->K', a:K0, and K0 <_c K (ie, K is a subtype via coercion c), then

f(a) is computationally equal to (reduces to)   f(c(a))

In particular, ([x:K]b)(a) does not reduce to [a/x]b, but it reduces to

([x:K]b)(c(a))   (coercion insertion as reduction)

which beta-reduces to [c(a)/x]b.  In other words, reductions such as beta
cannot be done directly when the argument's type is a proper subtype of
the required type; instead, a coercion (or type-casting operation, or
conversion in Java's term) has to be inserted (as a step of reduction)
before the reduction (beta in the above example) can be done.  I think
this corresponds to the suggestion you have made in your DISCUSSION
section of your message.

I am very interested in this and hope to get your further opinions.  Do
you know of other related work that uses the similar ideas to deal with
these situations?  (Please let me know if so.)

Best regards,
Zhaohui.

P.S.  It is OK for this message to be sent to the types-list if you
think it is appropriate.

[1] Z. Luo. Coercive subtyping in type theory. Proc. of CSL'96, the 1996
Annual Conference of the European Association for Computer Science Logic,
Utrecht. LNCS 1258, 1997.
[Available from URL: http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs0zl/SUBTYPING96.ps.gz]

[2] Z. Luo. Coercive subtyping. Submitted to Journal of Logic and
Computation. 1997. To appear.
[Draft available from URL: http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs0zl/JLC98.ps.gz]