paper on recursion and objects

I would like to announce the availability of the following paper, which
introduces a new type system for the "let rec" construct, relaxing the
syntactic restrictions usually imposed on this construct, and explores
its expressive power, as regards object-oriented, or more precisely
"mixin-oriented", programming.

  The Recursive Record Semantics of Objects Revisited

  Gérard Boudol

  In a call-by-value language, representing objects as
  recursive records requires using an unsafe fixpoint.
  We design, for a core language including extensible
  records, a type system which rules out unsafe recursion
  and still supports the reconstruction of a principal type.
  We illustrate the expressive power of this language with
  respect to object-oriented programming by introducing a
  sub-language for ``mixin-based'' programming.

The paper is available from my web page:

Comments are welcome!