Management of Technology - Readings
Filenames refer to the scans available in Webcafe. Because some people
have trouble downloading larger files, several of the readings are broken into
parts 1 and 2.
Class 1. Dynamics of Technology Change
- Chapt 1 The Dynamics of Innovation in Industry from
Mastering the Dynamics of Innovation - Utterback "Dynamics.pdf"
- Technology Fusion and the New R&D - Fumio Kodma "Fusion.pdf"
- Technological Diffusion and Substitution (Chapt 4) and Appendix - Louis Girifalco "Diffusion.pdf","Diffusion2.pdf" and "Appendix.pdf"
- Predicting the speed of
technology introduction (bass model)
Class 2. Technology Forecasting
- Great Expectations - Why Technology Predictions go Awry - Herb Brody "GreatExpectations.pdf"
- Forecasts for the diffusion of HDTV in the United States
- Sockman and Girifalco "sockman.pdf" with figures in "TV.pdf"
- High-Definition Television: Assessing Demand Forecasts ...
- Bayus and Bayus "HDTV.pdf"
- "A new product growth model for consumer durables," F. Bass,
Management Science 15 (January 1969), 215-227.
"ProductGrowth.pdf" - the historic paper
Class 3. Disruptive Technology Change
Class 4. Marketing High Technology
- You may want to read a bunch more of Crossing the Chasm. (I
strongly recommend all EMTM students to read the whole book, although
it will not be on the exam except as covered in class.)
- Meeting the Challenge of Disruptive Change. By Christensen, Clayton M.; Overdorf, Michael., Harvard Business Review, Mar/Apr2000, Vol. 78 Issue 2, p.
- Purple cow -
Godin; a great marketing book
- Forecasting the Adoption of E-Books HBR case study - Ofek and Wickersham
Class 5. Managing risk
Strategy as a portfolio of real options. By Luehrman, Timothy A.., Harvard Business Review, Sep/Oct98, Vol. 76 Issue 5, p89. (also in bulkpack and on webcafe)
- Alternative futures for electronic customer interaction:
market structures and competitive strategies. "Alternatives1.pdf"
(the "amazon" case)
- Burlington Northern HBS case "BN1.pdf" and "BN2.pdf"
- Two recent articles on the railroad industry are available in
webcafe under "Readings": burlingtonnorthern.2003.txt and
- Using Real Options - Harvard Business Review (see webcafe)
- see Knowledge@wharton examples (web cafe)
- Making strategy: Learning by doing. by Christensen, Clayton M..,
Harvard Business Review, Nov/Dec97, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p141, (see web
- Chapter 4: Technology-driven environmental shifts and the
sustainable competitive disadvantage of previously dominant companies
- Meeting the Challenge of Disruptive Change. By Christensen,
Clayton M.; Overdorf, Michael., Harvard Business Review, Mar/Apr2000,
Vol. 78 Issue 2, p. (see webcafe)
- The Computerless Computer Company - Rappaport and Halevi "Computer.pdf"
- See last year's quiz
- Technological pioneering and Competitive Advantage: The birth
of the VCR Indusrty - Rosenbloom and Cusumano "VCR.pdf"
return to 560 home page