Books by Professor Vuchic:
- Urban Transit Operations, Planning, and Economics
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005, 644 pp.
- Transportation for Livable Cities
CUPR--Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University,
1999, 352 pp.
- Urban Public Transportation Systems and Technology
Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1981, 673 pp.
published by Naucna Knjiga, Belgrade 1987.
published by Gihodo Shuppan, Inc., Tokyo, 1990.
- Gray and Hoel (Editors), Public Transportation: Planning,
Operations and Management
(Vuchic author of two chapters)
- Transit Operating Manual
of Transportation (PennDOT), 1978, 220 pp.
Recent Dissertations (1990 - present):
- Casello, J.M. Improving regional transportation system performance through
increased suburban intermodalism: A user cost modeling approach.
- Tehan, Brian J. An Evaluation of U.S. Employer Trip
Reduction Programs: Urban Transportation Planning and Policy
- Lee, Young-Jae. Analysis and Optimization of Transit
Network Design with Integrated Routing and Scheduling.
- Shin, Yong Eun. Analysis of PhysicalRelationship between
City and Transport System via Land Consumption. 1997.
- Krstanoski, Nikola. Rapid Transit Line Performance Analysis
: A Stochastic Approach. 1996.
- Bruun, C. Eric. Calculation and Evaluation of the Time-Area
Parameter for Different Transportation Modes. 1992.
Recent Papers (1995 - present):
- Casello, J.M., and V.R. Vuchic, "An Evaluation of Maglev Technology and Its Comparison with High Speed Rail", Transportation Quarterly, Vol. 56, No. 2, Spring 2002 (33-49). Eno Transportation Foundation, Inc., Washington, DC.
- Casello, J.M., and V.R. Vuchic, "Washington Metro: Planning for Growth", Urban Transportation International, No. 40, March / April 2002 (26-30).
- Vuchic, V.R., "Maglev vs. High Speed Rail: The Debate", Urban Transportation Monitor, 30 March, 2001, pp 9-12.
- Vuchic, V.R., "Comparison of LRT with Bus Semirapid Transit System", Proceedings, UITP 5th LRT Conference, UITP, Brussels, Belgium, 2001.
- Vuchic, V.R., "Light Rail Transit System: Its Forms and Roles in Urban Areas" Proceedings of the LRT Workshop-2000, Kaiserslautern, Germany, March, 2000, pp 27-32.
- Vuchic, V.R., "Die Automatisierung des U-Bahn-Systems und Erfahrungen aus Nordamerika", Internationales Forum zum Automatischen U-Bahn-Betrieb - Tagungsband, Berlin, Germany 2000, pp 221-235.
- Vuchic, V.R., Invited book review of "Alternate Route: Toward Efficient Urban Transportation", Transportation Journal, Vol. 38, No.3, Spring 1999, pp.68-70, Berlin, Germany 2000, pp 221-235.
- Bruun, E.C., V.R. Vuchic & Y-E Shin, "Time-Distance Diagrams: A Powerful Tool for Service Planning and Control", Journal of Public Transportation, Vol. 2, No. 2 pp. 1-24.
- Vuchic, V.R. & A. Musso, "Increasing Potential of Road Pricing for Improved Efficiency of Urban Transportation", Proceedings, 8th World Conference on Transportation Research, Antwerp, Belgium, 1998.
- Vuchic, V.R., Y.-J. Lee, Y.E. Shin, "Travel Costs and Intermodal Distribution in Urban Transportation", Transportation Research Record 1649, 1998, pp 105-112.
- Vuchic, V.R., Y.E. Shin, E.C. Bruun, N. Krstanoski, "Urban Transportation Policies and Practices: United States and Its Peers", Transportation Research Record 1576, TRB, Washington DC, 1997; pp. 132-139.
- Vuchic, V.R., "Personal Rapid Transit: An Unrealistic System", The Urban Transportation Monitor, 22 November, 1996, p.7.
- Vuchic, V.R., S. Kikuchi, N. Krstanoski, Y.E. Shin, "Negative Impacts of Busway and Bus Lane Conversion into High-Occupancy Vehicle Facilities", Transportation Research Record 1496, TRB, Washington DC, 1995; pp 75-86.
- Vuchic, V.R. and E.C. Bruun, "Time-Area Concept: Development, Meaning and Application", Transportation Research Record 1499, TRB, Washington DC, 1995: pp. 95-104.
Submitted Papers (2004 - present)
- Casello, J.M., and C.M. Puchalsky, "A Systems Approach to Road Pricing", submitted to Transport Policy, 2005
- Casello, J.M., and K. Curtis, "Comprehensive Planning in a Mid-sized Canadian Metropolitan Area", submitted to Planning Practice and Research, July 2005
- Casello, J.M., and C.M. Puchalsky, "A Systems Approach to Transport Pricing", submitted to Transport Policy, June 2005
- Casello, J.M., "Transit Competitiveness in Polycentric Metropolitan Regions", submitted to Transportation Research Part A, February 2005.
- Casello, J.M. and T.E. Smith, "Applying Activity Center Definitions to Transportation Analysis", submitted to Urban Studies, January 2005.
Recent Reports and Research Projects (1990 - present):
- Puchalsky, C.M. A Comparison of Emissions from Light Rail
Transit and Bus Rapid Transit. 84th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting,
Washington D.C., January 2005.
- The Maglev Transportation Systems and The Baltimore-Washington Proposed Project. Sponsored by the Citizens Planning and Housing Association, Baltimore, MD, January, 2001.
- Transportation Improvements for Increased Livability in the Philadelphia Region. Sponsored by the William Penn Foundation, Philadelphia, PA, June, 1999.
- The Bus Transit System: Its Underutilized Potential, report to the Federal Transit Administration (FTA - DOT), Washington DC, May 1994,82 pp.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) System Operations and Possible Improvements. Sponsored by BART's contract with Professor Vuchic.
- Short-Term Improvements for SEPTA's Regional Rail System.
Sponsored by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation
Authority, Philadelphia, PA, 1994.
- A Plan for SEPTA's Regional Metrorail System, report to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA), Philadelphia, PA, April 1993, 170 pp.
- New York City Transit Authority Control Center Modernization Project, Phase I, Report to New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA), Philadelphia, PA, April 1990, 98 pp.
Recent Conference Presentations (1997 - present):
- Casello, J.M, and V.R. Vuchic, "Evaluating methods to increase transit ridership: a user
cost approach", accepted for presentation,
Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning annual conference,
October 2005, Kansas City MO
- Casello, J.M., C.M. Puchalsky, and M. Semmler, "Implementing Road Pricing Projects: a Comparison of North America and Europe", 12th International HOV Systems Conference, April 2005, Houston TX
- Casello, J.M., "Improving Regional Transportation System Performance through Increased Suburban Intermodalism: a User Cost Modeling Approach", The 83rd Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2004.
- Casello, J.M., and V.R. Vuchic, "Rail Transit System Capacity: Interactions among Lines, Stations, Networks and Transfers", 81st Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2002.
- Casello, J.M., and V.R. Vuchic, "Transfers in Transit Networks: Theory and Practice", 79th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC, January 2000.
- Adler, J.L., and J.M. Casello, "A two-stage fuzzy control methodology for dynamic routing under ATIS", 8th International Conference on Travel Behaviour, Austin TX, September 1997.
- Casello, J.M., "Increasing Regional Transportation System Performance Through Increased Suburban Intermodalism: A User Cost Modeling Approach", University of Pennsylvania, Urban Research Institute, Urban Doctoral Symposium, 14 May 2004