Research Expertise: Tissue Engineering | Orthopaedic Bioengineering | Biomaterials
Rob's research program focuses on the engineering of musculoskeletal tissues, with a particular focus on articular cartilage, the knee meniscus, and the intervertebral disc. His group uses rigorous mechanical and molecular analyses to understand the emerging functional properties of engineered tissues, to precisely define the criteria and routes toward 'success' from native tissue structure and function, and to focus technology development on improving these critical features in engineered constructs. Specifically, this work employs adult mesenchymal stem cells, custom mechanobiologic culture conditions, and novel scaffolding technologies to enhance and direct functional tissue development.
PhD Biomedical Engineering 2003 - Columbia University
- Maturation State and Matrix Microstructure Regulate Interstitial Cell Migration in Dense Connective Tissues, Qu, F. | Li, Q. | Wang, X. | Cao, X. | Zgonis, M.H. | Esterhai, J.L. | Shenoy, V.B. | Han, L. | Mauck, R.L., Scientific Reports, 2018
- Dynamic Loading and Tendon Healing Affect Multiscale Tendon Properties and ECM Stress Transmission, Freedman, B.R. | Rodriguez, A.B. | Leiphart, R.J. | Newton, J.B. | Ban, E. | Sarver, J.J. | Mauck, R.L. | Shenoy, V.B. | Soslowsky, L.J., Scientific Reports, 2018
- Physiology and Engineering of the Graded Interfaces of Musculoskeletal Junctions, Bonnevie, E.D. | Mauck, R.L., Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 2018
- Role of dexamethasone in the long-term functional maturation of MSC-laden hyaluronic acid hydrogels for cartilage tissue engineering, Kim, M. | Garrity, S.T. | Steinberg, D.R. | Dodge, G.R. | Mauck, R.L., Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2018
- Dose and Timing of N-Cadherin Mimetic Peptides Regulate MSC Chondrogenesis within Hydrogels, Kwon, M.Y. | Vega, S.L. | Gramlich, W.M. | Kim, M. | Mauck, R.L. | Burdick, J.A., Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2018