Research Expertise: Tissue Engineering | Orthopaedic Bioengineering | Biomaterials
Rob's research program focuses on the engineering of musculoskeletal tissues, with a particular focus on articular cartilage, the knee meniscus, and the intervertebral disc. His group uses rigorous mechanical and molecular analyses to understand the emerging functional properties of engineered tissues, to precisely define the criteria and routes toward 'success' from native tissue structure and function, and to focus technology development on improving these critical features in engineered constructs. Specifically, this work employs adult mesenchymal stem cells, custom mechanobiologic culture conditions, and novel scaffolding technologies to enhance and direct functional tissue development.
PhD Biomedical Engineering 2003 - Columbia University
- “Looping In” Mechanics: Mechanobiologic Regulation of the Nucleus and the Epigenome, Dai, E.N. | Heo, S.-J. | Mauck, R.L., Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020
- Influence of Fiber Stiffness on Meniscal Cell Migration into Dense Fibrous Networks, Song, K.H. | Heo, S.-J. | Peredo, A.P. | Davidson, M.D. | Mauck, R.L. | Burdick, J.A., Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2020
- Metabolic Labeling to Probe the Spatiotemporal Accumulation of Matrix at the Chondrocyte–Hydrogel Interface, Loebel, C. | Kwon, M.Y. | Wang, C. | Han, L. | Mauck, R.L. | Burdick, J.A., Advanced Functional Materials, 2020
- Structure, function, and defect tolerance with maturation of the radial tie fiber network in the knee meniscus, Bansal, S. | Peloquin, J.M. | Keah, N.M. | O'Reilly, O.C. | Elliott, D.M. | Mauck, R.L. | Zgonis, M.H., Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2020
- Intervertebral Disc Degeneration Is Associated With Aberrant Endplate Remodeling and Reduced Small Molecule Transport, Ashinsky, B.G. | Bonnevie, E.D. | Mandalapu, S.A. | Pickup, S. | Wang, C. | Han, L. | Mauck, R.L. | Smith, H.E. | Gullbrand, S.E., Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2020