Research Expertise: Tissue Engineering | Orthopaedic Bioengineering | Biomaterials
Rob's research program focuses on the engineering of musculoskeletal tissues, with a particular focus on articular cartilage, the knee meniscus, and the intervertebral disc. His group uses rigorous mechanical and molecular analyses to understand the emerging functional properties of engineered tissues, to precisely define the criteria and routes toward 'success' from native tissue structure and function, and to focus technology development on improving these critical features in engineered constructs. Specifically, this work employs adult mesenchymal stem cells, custom mechanobiologic culture conditions, and novel scaffolding technologies to enhance and direct functional tissue development.
PhD Biomedical Engineering 2003 - Columbia University
- Mediation of Cartilage Matrix Degeneration and Fibrillation by Decorin in Post-traumatic Osteoarthritis, Li, Q. | Han, B. | Wang, C. | Tong, W. | Wei, Y. | Tseng, W.-J. | Han, L.-H. | Liu, X.S. | Enomoto-Iwamoto, M. | Mauck, R.L. | Qin, L. | Iozzo, R.V. | Birk, D.E. | Han, L., Arthritis and Rheumatology, 2020
- Sacrificial Fibers Improve Matrix Distribution and Micromechanical Properties in a Tissue-Engineered Intervertebral Disc, Ashinsky, B.G. | Gullbrand, S.E. | Bonnevie, E.D. | Wang, C. | Kim, D.H. | Han, L. | Mauck, R.L. | Smith, H.E., Acta Biomaterialia, 2020
- Biocompatibility and bioactivity of an FGF-loaded microsphere-based bilayer delivery system, Kim, D.H. | Huegel, J. | Taylor, B.L. | Nuss, C.A. | Weiss, S.N. | Soslowsky, L.J. | Mauck, R.L. | Kuntz, A.F., Acta Biomaterialia, 2020
- Early changes in cartilage pericellular matrix micromechanobiology portend the onset of post-traumatic osteoarthritis, Chery, D.R. | Han, B. | Li, Q. | Zhou, Y. | Heo, S.-J. | Kwok, B. | Chandrasekaran, P. | Wang, C. | Qin, L. | Lu, X.L. | Kong, D. | Enomoto-Iwamoto, M. | Mauck, R.L. | Han, L., Acta Biomaterialia, 2020
- Nuclear softening expedites interstitial cell migration in fibrous networks and dense connective tissues, Heo, S.-J. | Song, K.H. | Thakur, S. | Miller, L.M. | Cao, X. | Peredo, A.P. | Seiber, B.N. | Qu, F. | Driscoll, T.P. | Shenoy, V.B. | Lakadamyali, M. | Burdick, J.A. | Mauck, R.L., Science Advances, 2020