Research Expertise: Mechanical Systems
Karl's research and teaching are focused on product development and innovation. He is particularly interested in how to manage the innovation process in order to identify, create, and develop exceptional opportunities. Karl conducts research on innovation in a variety of technological domains, including engineered goods, web-based services, and energy and environmental technologies. He has also developed innovative personal transportation devices, including human and electric powered vehicles.
ScD Mechanical Engineering 1988 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Opportunity spaces in innovation: Empirical analysis of large samples of ideas, Kornish, L.J. | Ulrich, K.T., Management Science, 2011
- Picking the Winners, Terwiesch, C. | Ulrich, K., International Commerce Review, 2010
- Idea generation and the quality of the best idea, Girotra, K. | Terwiesch, C. | Ulrich, K.T., Management Science, 2010
- Managing the opportunity portfolio, Terwiesch, C. | Ulrich, K., Research Technology Management, 2008
- Valuing R&D projects in a portfolio: Evidence from the pharmaceutical industry, Girotra, K. | Terwiesch, C. | Ulrich, K.T., Management Science, 2007