Boon Thau Loo
Publications | Talks
Brief bio: I am a Professor in the Computer and Information Science (CIS)
department at the University of Pennsylvania. I hold a secondary appointment in the Electrical and Systems Engineering (ESE) department. I am also the Associate Dean of the Masters and Professional Programs at our School of Engineering and Applied Science. I lead the NetDB@Penn
research group, where we are working on several exciting projects at the
intersection of databases, networking, and formal methods. I am also part of the distributed systems and database groups. I received my Ph.D. degree
in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley in
2006. Prior to my Ph.D, I received my M.S. degree from Stanford
University in 2000, and my B.S. degree with highest honors from UC
Berkeley in 1999. I was awarded the 2006 David J. Sakrison Memorial
Prize for the most outstanding dissertation research in the Department
of EECS at UC Berkeley, and the 2007 ACM SIGMOD Dissertation Award. I am
a recipient of the NSF CAREER award (2009) and the Air Force Office of
Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Award (2012). My graduated Ph.D. students include three winners of dissertation awards (Rubinoff, SIGMOD, SPEC). I am also currently the co-founder and Chief Scientist at Termaxia, a big data storage startup. I have also participated in the NSF I-Corps program, advise the Penn M&T Innovation fund, and done technology transfer from my research at Penn.
Spring 2018 office hours: Monday 1:30-2pm (605 Levine), Tuesday 3:30-4:30pm (Towne 109C), Wednesday 1:30-2pm (605 Levine).
- CIS 548: Operating Systems Design and Implementation - Spring 2018, Spring 2017.
- CIS 380 Operating
Systems - Fall 2017, Fall 2016, Fall 2013, Fall 2012, Fall 2011
- Special Topic: Managing Software-defined Infrastructures - Summer 2017 (National University of Singapore).
- Special Topic: Software-defined Data Centers - July 2016 (National University of Singapore)
- CIS 505 Software Systems - Spring 2016, Spring 2015, Spring 2011, Spring 2009, Spring 2008
- CIS 800 Special Topic: Software-defined Data Centers - Fall 2015
- CIS 553 / TCOM 512 Networked Systems - Spring
2010, Fall 2009, Fall 2008, Fall 2007
- CIS 800/003 Rigorous Internet Protocol Engineering - Fall 2011
- CS 598D: Formal Methods in Networking - Spring 2010 (Princeton)
- CIS 700/005 Special Topics: Networking meets
Databases - Spring 2007
Current PhD students and postdocs:
Graduated Ph.D. students and postdocs [Genealogy]
- Chen Chen (with Limin Jia)
- Recruit Institute of Technology (2017).
Arzani (with Roch Guerin).
- Postdoc at Microsoft Research (2017).
- Yang Li (with Sanjeev Khanna and Linh Phan)
- Dr. Yifei Yuan (with Rajeev Alur)
- Postdoc at Carnegie Mellon University (2016).
- Dr. Mengmeng Liu (with Zachary Ives).
- Dr. Dong Lin.
- Dr. Zhuoyao Zhang (with Insup Lee).
- Google (2014).
- Honorable Mention for the SPEC Distinguished Dissertation Award (2014).
- Dr. Alex Gurney (postdoc).
- Dr. Anduo Wang (with Andre Scedrov).
- Assistant Professor at Temple University (2016),
- Postdoc at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013).
- Dr. Changbin
- Founding CEO/CTO of Termaxia (2016).
- AT&T Labs Research (2012).
- Dr. Steven Wenchao
- Assistant Professor at Georgetown University (2012).
- Honorable Mention for the SIGMOD Jim Gray Doctoral Dissertation Award (2013).
- Dr. Micah Sherr
(with Matt Blaze).
- Associate Professor at Georgetown University (2015).
- Assistant Professor at Georgetown University (2010).
- Winner of Rubinoff award at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Dr. Yun Mao (with Jonathan M. Smith).
- Facebook (2013).
- AT&T Labs Research (2008).
Research group affiliations: