[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First meeting

The first meeting of the Summer semantics-directed compiling seminar will be
held

Wednesday, June 29 1:00-3:00, 008 Cullinane

Ignacio Silva-Lepe will give a presentation on Pleban's MESS system.

At that time we will also try to work out a schedule of readings for the
next month or so.  I am attaching to this note a list of possible
topics/projects.  Between now and then please think about what topics would be
of most interest to you.

	  Topics/Projects in Semantics-Directed Compiler Generation

Tools

	 Redesigning/reimplementing SPS.  Port to T?  to PC Scheme?  Recode with
better data structures, congruence-closure unification?

	 Extend SPS to produce compilers, not just interpreters.

	 Study use of ML as prototyping tool.  Parser interface?  Generate
transducers from abstract syntax definitions?  Modify SML compiler to avoid
extraneous typechecking? [ref:  Ambriola?]

	 Attribute Grammar Tools

	 Cornell Synthesizer Generator

	 Doing realistic examples-- Pascal? Ada?

Typechecking

	 for Objects

	 for Macro definitions

	 for Generated code

Non-Standard Languages

	 Macro-by-Example [Wand \&\ Kohlbecker]

	 Prolog (different semantics, different machines?) [Wand, Nicholson
\&\ Foo]

	 Streams/Lucid [Hoffman]

	 Brown [Wand \&\ Friedman, etc.]

Where do Combinators come from?

	 Partial Evaluation vs.\ Staging [Jorring \&\ Sherlis, Nielsons, etc]

	 Axiomatic Defs for Macrosemantics [Mosses]

Back-end Issues

	 Correctness of Code Generators

	 Correctness of Optimizers  [Montenyohl, Nielsons?]

--end--