[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

top down type inferece

There has been considerable discussion lately of top-down
type inference algorithms.  The idea is sometimes referred to
as a folk algorithm.  It may be pertinent to mention my
16 year old paper

       Polymorphic type inference,
         Conference Record of the Tenth Annual ACM Symposium
		on Principles of Programming Languages,
	ACM, New York, 1983, 88--98.

In it I gave a top down type inference algorithm for ML,
which I called V.

In that paper I also claimed, wrongly of course, to have
a type inference algorithm for full polymorphism
(a claim I expeditiously inserted while finalizing the proceedings paper).
However, the part about the algorithm V is unproblematic.

Daniel Leivant
Computer Science Department
Indiana University