[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paper on Subtyping and Locality in Distributed Higher-order Processes

We are pleased to announce the following technical report

                     SUBTYPING AND LOCALITY IN
                  DISTRIBUTED HIGHER ORDER PROCESSES

                               by
               Nobuko Yoshida and Matthew Hennessy

is available from

  http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/              (technical report)
  http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/nobuko  (extended abstract)

Your comments are warmly welcome.

Best regards,

Nobuko Yoshida
University of Sussex

   	                     ABSTRACT

This paper studies one important aspect of distributed systems,
locality, using a calculus of distributed higher-order processes in
which not only basic values or channels, but also parameterised
processes are transferred across distinct locations. An integration of
the subtyping of $\lambda$-calculus and IO-subtyping of the
$\pi$-calculus offers a tractable tool to control the locality of
channel names in the presence of distributed higher order processes.
Using a local restriction on channel capabilities together with a
subtyping relation, locality is preserved during reductions even if we
allow new receptors to be dynamically created by instantiation of
arbitrary higher-order values and processes.

We also show that our method is applicable to more general
constraints, based on local and global channel capabilities.