[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

paper: Towards an abstract model of Java dynamic linking and

 The following paper:

      Towards an abstract model of Java dynamic linking and
verification
                                     -- version 2  --
                               Sophia Drossopoulou

and be obtained from

http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/projects/slurp/pubs.html#dynlink

                                         Abstract
                                         ----------
    We suggest a model for dynamic linking and verification as in
    Java. We distinguish five components in a Java implementation:
    evaluation, resolution, loading, verification, and preparation
    --  with their associated checks. We demonstrate how these
    five together guarantee type soundness. We concentrate on giving a
    comprehensive description of the role of the five components and
    their dependencies, rather than a faithful model of each in
    isolation, and do not yet consider multiple loaders.

    We take an abstract view, and base our model on a language
    nearer to Java source than to bytecode. We consider the following
    features of Java: classes, subclasses, fields and hiding, methods,
    overloading and inheritance,  interfaces and subinterfaces. We
    chose these features because the corresponding
    checks for each for these  is guaranteed by different components.

     The main difference between the current and previous, informally
     distributed versions of this work is the study of interfaces, and the
     more faithful description of the timing of possible loading.

Looking forward to any comments,

Sophia
--
Sophia Drossopoulou     http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/~scd/

   Department of Computing,
   Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
   LONDON SW7 2BZ, England

tel: +44 020 7594 8368, fax: +44 020 7581 8024