[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is extensionality equational in the absence of xi?

P.S.: in my attempt to answer Phil Wadler's question, I assumed that
the set A of equations he was looking for was supposed to consist only
of equations that are valid in the usual beta-eta sense (i.e., such
that (lambda-)+A is still contained in (lambda)+(ext)).

If one allows A to contain equations that are not consequences of
(lambda)+(ext), then my answer does not apply. And indeed, it is then
possible to find an equational theory which entails (ext): for
instance, the inconsistent theory (axiomatized by the single equation
x=y).

Perhaps more interesting is the question whether there is a consistent
set of equations that does the trick. -- Peter