[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

a paper on call-by-value recursion

Dear colleagues,

We wonder if the following paper is of some interest to you -- in
particular to those studying semantics of ML-like typed call-by-value
programming languages (possibly with side effects like first-class
continuations):

Axioms for Recursion in Call-by-Value

by Masahito Hasegawa and Yoshihiko Kakutani

Abstract:
We propose an axiomatization of fixpoint operators in typed
call-by-value programming languages, and give its justifications in
two ways. First, it is shown to be sound and complete for the notion
of uniform T-fixpoint operators of Simpson and Plotkin. Second, the
axioms precisely account for Filinski's fixpoint operator derived from
an iterator (infinite loop constructor) in the presence of first-class
continuations, provided that we define the uniformity principle on
such an iterator via a notion of effect-freeness (centrality). We then
explain how these two results are related in terms of the underlying
categorical structures.

An extended abstract (short version) has appeared in
Proc. Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures
(FoSSaCS2001), Springer LNCS 2030 (2001) pp.246-260.

A full version will appear in Higher-Order and Symbolic Computation.

Electronic copies of both versions, as well as further information
on this work are available from

	http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~hassei/papers/

Let us add a few more comments. This work can be read in two ways:

- (for semantics-minded readers) as a syntactic realization of Simpson
  and Plotkin's proposal (LICS2000) of using their "uniform T-fixed
  point operators" (where T is a strong monad used in the Moggi-style
  "monadic" modelling of call-by-value languages) as a semantics of
  call-by-value recursion

- (for syntax-minded readers) as a semantic analysis of Filinski's
  pioneering work on recursion and iteration in call-by-value
  languages in the presence of first-class continuations (Lisp and
  Symbolic Computation, 1994)

In fact, as described in the abstract, we offer a unified view on
these readings: the latter is obtained as an instance of the former,
by instantiating the strong monad T to be the continuation monad.

This story was made possible by employing the ideas and results from
the work by Power&Robinson, Thielecke, Fuhrman and Selinger on the
"direct-style" models of call-by-value programming languages.
In particular, it turns out to be crucial to sort out the relationship
between the "effect-freeness" in call-by-value languages and the
"uniformity principle" for call-by-value recursion. To this end, we
propose the notion of "rigid functional" (which is a refinement of the
notion with the same name introduced by Filinski) as a natural notion
of "strictness" in a call-by-value setting.

Best,

Masahito and Yoshihiko.

Masahito Hasegawa <hassei@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Yoshihiko Kakutani <kakutani@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Research Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Kyoto University