[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Formal semantics for C

Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au> writes:

> Undefined behaviour can be handled by having the denotation of the program
> as a whole be the universal set of all possible behaviours.

If you call this mathematically useful, please don't let us stop you from
spending your time on designing a "semantics" for C (or whatever).

It is my believe that C is an "assembly" language for building and
"scripting" Unix and that the people who designed C didn't think about
a mathematical, machine-independent semantics and, frankly, they and their
friends who use it, probably don't care about it.

-- Matthias

Follow-Ups: References: