[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Do you, or would you, teach ML or Scheme?

I am preparing a proposal to the NSF to fund development of improved
tools for ML programming along the lines of the Dr. Scheme tools, but
focused primarily on helping students (and other beginning ML
programmers) understand type errors.

I need to provide some measure of possible interest in such a tool,
so I am hoping you will answer the following few questions.
Unfortunately, time is short, so I would appreciate replies as soon
as you have a moment.

I will summarize to the list.

If you know anyone who teaches or has taught a functional language in
a course who is likely not to have received this survey on the SIGCSE
or types lists, please forward it to them.

Thanks for your help,

Josh Hodas

------

1) Do you currently teach  or use Scheme in any course? If so, what
course, and do you use the Dr. Scheme tools?

2) Do you currently teach or use ML in any course? If so, in what course?

3) If you do use/teach ML, which compiler do you use, do you think
your students would benefit from a tool that provided more
understandable information about type errors and let them investigate
the cause of those errors?

4) If you do not use ML, would you be more likely to adopt it if
there were better student support tools of this sort?

5) If you currently teach or use any other functional language in a
course, what language and what course?

6) If you previously taught or used any functional language but no
longer do, what course and language, and why did you stop?

--
Josh Hodas / Associate Professor        Office Phone: (909) 621-8650
Director, Computer Science Clinic       Clinic Sec'y: (909) 607-8379