[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Type inference and related research...

Hello,

If your interest is directed towards type systems of real-world programming
languages, focusing on type inference is not necessarily the most productive
direction to take.  As I see it, the subject mostly dead-ends around the
point of sophistication of the Haskell type system, after which it becomes
undecidable or at least unwieldy.  This does not seem like a feature that
will make it into future programming languages that are widely used.
Though, the underlying concept of unification is very powerful and seem more
promising -- if unification is your primary interest, then it could be very
useful to explore it in other, more practical, situations than
type-inference algorithms.

Here are two type-theoretic subjects that I feel hold the most promise
towards improving future type systems:

1. The representation of "very dependent types", as originated by Jason
Hickey.  See http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~jyh/papers/fool3/default.html for
the original paper.  In earlier type systems, terms could reference (by
symbolic binding or de Bruijn index) the 'parameter' part of outer lambda
expressions.  Very dependent types also expose the 'function' part of outer
lambda expressions, but in a more general way than the recursive mu binder:
they preserve partially-known information.

Thus you can use very dependent types to form arbitrarily complex
dependent-typed records with recursive dependencies.  This provides a
framework that seems an ideal framework for representing object-oriented
concepts such as self-type dependence (without resorting to a new binder as
in Cardelli's object calculi), as well as uniformly representing dependent
mathematic structures such as groups or rings.  In my experience, very
dependent types have proven very easy to work with and well-known concepts
such as Cardelli's explicit substitutions approach, and Cardelli's
subtyping-of-recursive-types are easily extensible to very dependent types.

As far as I'm aware, there is only one paper on this topic and the value of
this research topic hasn't been widely recognized yet.

2. Type systems that combine non-determinism (at least at the type level)
with type-forming and type-specification operators.  The breakthrough paper
on the topic is David McAllester's description of the Ontic language:
http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/dam/ontic-spec.ps.  This also appears to be the
only paper on the topic and the value of the research hasn't been widely
recognized yet.

The notion of non-determinism in Ontic isn't the scary or impractical kind
that is associated (by practical programmers) with languages like Prolog;
here it can be used purely as a type-system tool that enables you to express
such concepts as "the type containing the elements 1, 2, and 3"; "an element
whose value is either 1, 2, or 3", "a subtype of the type of natural
numbers", "the type of all subtypes of natural numbers", etc.  The Ontic
type system provides a direct and intuitive representation of concepts which
are either difficult or indirect and circuitous to express in more
traditional dependent-type systems.

One of the neat things of Ontic is that the idea of a typechecker assigning
type judgements to each term context in the form "a:T" is replaced by the
more general idea of assigning a (hopefully finitary) set of possible values
to each term.  This makes it easier to deal with complex subtyping
situations such as f-bounds and recursive types.

Please note that I am not a type theorist, but a practical programmer who
follows type theory research in search of ideas that may contribute towards
future practical programming languages, so my advice here is biased in a
direction that others are likely to disagree with.

-Tim