[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Field's Institute Summer School in Logic & Theoretical CS (fwd)

Dear Colleagues:

June will be theoretical computer science month at U. Ottawa! The
Field's Institute will sponsor a summer school in Logic and
Foundations of Computation at the University of Ottawa this
summer, June 2-20, 2003.  This program will be hosted by the logic
group in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the
University of Ottawa  (consisting of Philip Scott, Richard Blute,
and Peter Selinger).

The program will consist of 2 weeks of courses for graduate
students, then a week of workshops in several areas of
theoretical computer science.   This program is particularly aimed
at graduate students in mathematics, logic, theoretical computer
science, mathematical linguistics and related areas. The program
culminates in the 18th annual IEEE Logic in Computer Science
(LICS2003) meeting on campus at U. Ottawa.  For the latter,
see  http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/als/lics/

The details (and finances) of the Field's program are still being worked
out, but we wanted to alert our colleagues to the following themes:

Weeks 1,2:  Each week will consist of two courses (one in the
morning, the other in the afternoon), taught by experts in the
area.  We are planning topics that include:

Week 1: (a) Categorical Logic and type theory and  (b) Linear Logic.
Week 2:  (a) Game Semantics   and (b) Concurrency.
Week 3:  Workshops.  These include, among other topics,

June 15-16:  Quantum Programming Languages   (Org:  Peter Selinger),
June 18-19: Mathematical Linguistics (Org:  J. Lambek)

There are currently two other workshops being planned.

Some Limited Funding Scholarships will be made available to
graduate students for attending the workshop.  More details on how
to apply will be made available soon.  Meanwhile, interested
students may contact  any members of the local logic team to
be alerted as news becomes available.

Philip Scott  (phil@site.uottawa.ca)
Richard Blute  (rblute@mathstat.uottawa.ca)
Peter Selinger  (selinger@mathstat.uottawa.ca)