How do I use the Qualtrics Survey Tool?
Qualtrics is a web-based survey and statistical analysis tool available to Penn Engineering staff, faculty, and students.
To use Qualtrics, log in with your PennKey at http://upenn.qualtrics.com/.
The first time you log in, choose I don't have a Qualtrics account and agree to the terms of service.
Qualtrics provides excellent documentation and training materials:
- Support and Training
- Creating a Survey
- Learn Qualtrics in 5 Steps (Instructional videos)
- How To: A Guide to Using Qualtrics Research Suite (PDF)
- Handbook for Research Professionals (PDF)
If you are using Qualtrics to collect research data intended for publication, please contact the Institutional Review Board (IRB) before sending out your survey.
Require PennKey Authentication
- Click on the Edit Survey tab.
- Click on Survey Flow.
- Click on + Add a New Element Here and select Authenticator.
- Select SSO from the Authentication Type: dropdown menu.
- Uncheck Associate Respondent With Panel.
- Select Shibboleth from the SSO Type: dropdown menu.
- Click and hold down the Move link to drag the box to the very top of your survey, before all other questions.
- Click on Save Flow.
When configuring PennKey authentication, you also have the option to capture some information about the authenticated user following these steps:
- Check the Capture respondent identifying info box.
- Click on the + icon to add an item.
- Add the identifying name you want to use in the first column, Embedded Data to Set....
- Add the SAML1 Formal Name in the Field From SSO column.
Use this example as a reference (Embedded Data = Field From SSO):
eduPersonPrincipalName = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:eduPersonPrincipalName employeeNumber = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:employeeNumber mail = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:mail displayName = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:displayName sn = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:sn givenName = urn:mace:dir:attribute-def:givenName
- The user's PennName returned as firstname.lastname@example.org
- The user's 8-Digit Penn ID
- The user's preferred email address from the Penn Directory
- The user's full name, typically returned in a format similar to "Franklin, Benjamin"
- The user's surname (family name, last name, etc.)
- The user's given name (first name)
Please note that the mail, displayName, sn (surname) and givenName attributes are all suppressable by the user, so be prepared if this information is missing. In case where multiple values are returned for an attribute, Qualtrics will only record the first one. Consult the List of Shibboleth attributes available at Penn page for more information.