Virtual PC Lab
CETS has a number of licensed applications which can only be run from our PC labs. If the labs are full, or if you just want to be able to work from your college house or apartment, the Virtual SEAS PC lab is a great alternative. It's also a great solution if you use a Mac or Linux machine and occasionally need to use a Windows machine.
Note: All CETS managed Linux machines already have this software installed, so you can skip this step. If you run Linux and your distro doesn't already have rdesktop installed, you probably already know how to find and install free packages.
The Virtual SEAS PC Lab is a tool using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to give SEAS students/faculty/staff the ability to log into a SEAS Computer Lab PC remotely from home.
Remote Desktop for Windows
This software is included in Windows. You can access it through the Start menu under one of these locations:
- Start:Programs:Accessories:Remote Desktop Connection
- Start:Programs:Accessories:Communications:Remote Desktop Connection
- Start:All Programs:Accessories:Remote Desktop Connection
Remote Desktop for Macintosh
You can download the Mac version from the Mac App Store:
Remote Desktop for Linux
Please check the website for your Linux distribution for information about rdesktop, the remote desktop client for linux. On CETS Linux machines, this should work:
For full screen, add the -f option and use CTRL+ALT+ENTER to leave full screen mode.
- Start your remote desktop client, and connect to: vlab-rdp.seas.upenn.edu
- Log in with your PennKey username and password to the UPENN.EDU kerberos realm.
If you get the error above, here are the steps for correcting it:
- Open the Remote Desktop Connection software.
- Click on Options >>
- Select the Local Resources tab
- Under "Local resources and devices" click on the More... button.
- Make sure the following items are unchecked:
Supported Plug and Play devices
- Click OK. You should now be able to connect successfully.
Please send any feedback about the revised virtual lab to email@example.com.