SEAS Matlab License Information
Matlab is available in the CETS-managed computer labs, Moore 100 (A, B & C), Moore 207, Towne M66, and Towne M70. Matlab is also available in the Virtual PC lab. Matlab for students can be purchased at the Computer Connection for $99. The purchased version does not include all of the toolboxes that are available on the CETS machines.
Here is a list of the toolboxes that comes with our Matlab license. Important Note: The Data Acquisition Toolbox is only available in a 32-bit Windows version.
- GNU Octave is a high-level interpreted language, primarily intended for numerical computations. It provides capabilities for the numerical solution of linear and nonlinear problems, and for performing other numerical experiments. It also provides extensive graphics capabilities for data visualization and manipulation. Octave is normally used through its interactive command line interface, but it can also be used to write non-interactive programs. The Octave language is quite similar to Matlab so that most programs are easily portable. Octave is already installed on CETS-managed Linux systems.
- For an online open source alternative to Matlab, try sagemath.org.
Licenses are available for purchase from CETS. These are the eligibility requirements:
- Faculty and staff researchers can purchase licenses for their research group or research assistants. A Penn budget code is required to purchase licenses. We do not accept or process Purchase Orders or any other form of payment. Undergraduate students, graduate students, and Ph. D. candidates are not eligible to purchase licenses from CETS. The Student Edition of Matlab 7 Release 14 is available for students to purchase from Penn's Computer Connection for $99.
- SEAS has two types of Matlab licenses available for research users to purchase: a standalone license and a networked license. Either license will work with Windows, Unix/Linux, or Mac.
- The standalone license runs the license server software directly on your machine. This type of license is recommended if you are using a laptop or other computer that might not always be connected to the network when you want to use the software. Standalone licenses must be purchased for each machine where you want to run Matlab.
- The networked license is served from a license server run by CETS. With this license, you only need to purchase as many licenses as you would like to use concurrently. For example, if you have 5 computers but you only think 2 of them will be using Matlab simultaneously, you only need to purchase two licenses for all 5 machines to share. This option is recommended if your computer(s) will always be on the network.
- With either type of license, you are essentially renting a part of the license from CETS. Therefore, you must renew this license annually. Since the cost of Matlab is shared among all of the license users, and the price Mathworks charges us changes over time, the prices to rent this license will likely change every year. These prices cover software updates upon request, and installation help for machines with common configurations. There may be additional service charges for license changes mid-year, or consulting/troubleshooting requests.
- This license covers academic research only. Matlab may be subject to export restrictions. Review the license before use for commercially funded research, external consulting or international travel. All Matlab users are responsible to use this software in accordance with the license restrictions.
If you would like a quote for Matlab, please email cets@seas with the following information:
- Number of licenses required (@ $300 per license):
- Operating System type (Linux/Mac/Windows XP-Vista-7):
- Type of licenses required (standalone or floating/concurrent/networked):
- HostID (MAC/Hardware/Ethernet Address) of each workstation requiring a standalone license (instructions for finding your hardware address):
- Netbios Names (Win)/Fully Qualified Domain Names (Mac/Linux) of workstations needing to accessing floating licenses:
- Will you need to borrow the install media for the current version of Matlab? (answering yes means that a copy of the install media will be reserved for you to borrow from the CETS Office in GRW-164 under the condition that you return the software immediately after your installation is complete):
- Primary contact (eligible faculty contact):
- Technical contact (TA or research assistant performing the installation):
- A valid Penn budget to charge for the licenses:
Please check the Mathworks web site for complete Matlab system requirements.