|Master's Programs have two application cycle deadlines:|
|NOTE: February 1 is the deadline for Integrated Product Design|
|Doctoral Program deadlines are program-specific:|
|BE, CIS, ESE, MEAM: December 15|
|CBE, MSE: January 2|
The 2016-17 Application is now closed.
We are no longer accepting candidates for the Fall 2016 academic year. If you are interested in applying for the 2017-18 academic term, you can fill out our INQUIRY FORM to receive specific program information.
Please note, Penn Engineering does not admit students for the Spring semester.
Criteria for Candidates
Applicants for master's and doctoral programs must have obtained a bachelor's degree from an accredited School or University prior to intended matriculation date.
- biographical information (part of the online application).
- a personal statement.
- two  official letters of recommendation: one must be from a faculty member who is familiar with the candidate's scholarly abilities;
- CIS PhD application requires three  letters or recommendation.
- Unofficial Transcript - submitted with application
- One  transcript form each university or college attended where course credit was earned, to be uploaded and submitted with the online application.
- Official Transcript - submitted when offer of admission is received
- One  official transcript from each university or college attended where course credit was earned. This must be submitted by the issuing institution.
- one  official final transcript, showing completion of the degree. You must also send a certificate of graduation, when the transcript does not list the degree earned. This must be submitted by the issuing institution.
- We encourage all applicants that have attended a Chinese Institution to use the CHESSIC translation service when sending their official documentation. The first document is $12 and all additional documents are $10. Please note, it may take up to 20 business days for the documents to be electronically transmitted.
- non-refundable application fee of $80. This payment must be submitted with the online application.
- GRE - official score report for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - required by all programs. In addition to the GRE, all International Applicants must meet the requirement indicated below. The institution code to use for the GRE exam is 2888. You must take the exam by the application deadline.
- TOEFL/IELTS* - All international applicants and applicants for whom English is not the native language must submit offical scores for either the Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)*.
- The institution code for the TOEFL exam is 2888.
- You must take the exam by the application deadline.
- TOEFL Score Recommendations - BE, BIOT, CBE, CIS, EE, IPD, MEAM, ROBO and SE programs strongly recommend a TOEFL score of 100 or higher for all applicants.
- IELTS Score Recommendations - a minimum of 7.5 is recommended for all programs.
* This requirement can be waived if the candidate has completed at least three (3) years of academic work on a full-time basis at a university-level institution in the United States or in a country in which English is recognized as the official language or where the medium of instruction is English. This is at the discretion of the individual program.
Applications are evaluated as a whole portfolio and not on a single criterion. Thus, we do not adhere to strict minimums pertaining to test scores. Averages can be found in some university publications and media such as U.S. News & World Report and Peterson's.
All official transcripts associated with an application to a graduate program within the School of Engineering and Applied Science should be mailed or sent electronically. If the transcripts will be mailed, please have them sent to the following address:
University of Pennsylvania
School of Engineering and Applied Science
111 Towne Building
220 S. 33rd St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6391
If your institution uses electronic transcripts, your institution should send the electronic transcripts to the following administrators:
Abigail Whitington, firstname.lastname@example.org, for - BE, EE, ESE, IPD, MSE, MEAM, SE
Sherry Ferraiolo, email@example.com, for - BIOT, CBE, CGGT, CIS, EMBS, MCIT, NANO, ROBO, SCMP
Completed Master’s applications will be evaluated promptly by our faculty once each application cycle has ended. Admittance is based on an estimate of the applicant's ability to successfully complete our graduate program and on the compatibility of student interests with our programs and research. When an admissions decision is reached, the applicant will be notified directly through the online application system. Please note that admission decisions cannot be revealed over the telephone.