|Master's Programs have two application cycle deadlines:|
|NOTE: February 1 is the deadline for Integrated Product Design|
|Doctoral Program deadlines are program-specific:|
|BE, CIS, ESE, MEAM: December 15|
|MSE, CBE: January 2|
The Application for Fall 2015 Admission Is closed.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2015 Academic year. Please fill out our INQUIRY FORM if you would like program information.
Criteria for Candidates
Applicants for master's and doctoral programs must have obtained a bachelor's degree from an accredited School or University prior to intended matriculation date.
- biographical information (part of the online application)
- a personal statement.
- two  official letters of recommendation: one must be from a faculty member who is familiar with the candidate's scholarly abilities (the only exception is the doctoral program in CIS for which applicants must submit three  letters of recommendation).
- one (1) unofficial transcript form each university or college attended, to be uploaded and submitted with the online application.
- one  official transcript from each university or college attended.
- non-refundable application fee of $80. This payment must be submitted with the online application.
- official score report for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) - required by all programs. In addition to the GRE, all International Applicants must meet the TOEFL or IELTS requirement indicated below. The institution code to use for the GRE exam is 2888.
- Please note that CIS, Bio and IPD programs expect a minimum TOEFL score of 100 for all applicants.
Applicants whose native language is not English are required to satisfy our English language proficiency requirement by submitting:
- an official score report for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*. The institution code for the TOEFL exam is 2888.
- an official score report for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)*.
* This requirement can be waived if the candidate has completed at least three (3) years of academic work on a full-time basis at a university-level institution in the United States or in a country in which English is recognized as the official language or where the medium of instruction is English.
Applications are evaluated as a whole portfolio and not on a single criterion. Thus, we do not adhere to strict minimums pertaining to test scores. Averages can be found in some university publications and media such as U.S. News & World Report and Peterson's.
All official transcripts associated with an application to a graduate program within the School of Engineering and Applied Science should be mailed or sent electronically. If the transcripts will be mailed, please have them sent to the following address:
University of Pennsylvania
School of Engineering and Applied Science
111 Towne Building
220 S. 33rd St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6391
If your institution uses electronic transcripts, they should be sent electronically to the following administrators:
Abigail Whitington, firstname.lastname@example.org, for - BE, EE, ESE, IPD, MSE, MEAM, SE
Sherry Ferraiolo, email@example.com, for - BIOT, CBE, CIS, EMBS, MCIT, NANO, ROBO, SCMP
Completed Master’s applications will be evaluated promptly by our faculty once each application cycle has ended. Admittance is based on an estimate of the applicant's ability to successfully complete our graduate program and on the compatibility of student interests with our programs and research. When an admissions decision is reached, the applicant will be notified directly through the online application system. Please note that admission decisions cannot be revealed over the telephone.