[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

work on Java bytecode verification

The following paper on Java bytecode verification is available from URL:
http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/personal/Martin_Abadi/Papers/jvm-short-preprint.ps

        A Type System for Java Bytecode Subroutines

            Raymie Stata and Martin Abadi

  Java is typically compiled into an intermediate language, JVML,
  that is interpreted by the Java Virtual Machine. Because mobile
  JVML code is not always trusted, a bytecode verifier enforces static
  constraints that prevent various dynamic errors. Given the importance
  of the bytecode verifier for security, its current descriptions
  are inadequate. This paper proposes using typing rules to describe
  the bytecode verifier because they are more precise than prose,
  clearer than code, and easier to reason about than either.

  JVML has a subroutine construct used for the compilation of Java's
  try-finally statement. Subroutines are a major source of complexity
  for the bytecode verifier because they are not obviously last-in/first-out
  and because they require a kind of polymorphism. Focusing on subroutines,
  we isolate an interesting, small subset of JVML. We give typing
  rules for this subset and prove their correctness. Our type system
  constitutes a sound basis for bytecode verification and a rational
  reconstruction of a delicate part of Sun's bytecode verifier.

  (This paper will be presented at POPL98.)

Some related results are described below; a paper on these results is
in preparation.

           A Type System for Object Initialization
        	in the Java Bytecode Language

               Stephen Freund and John Mitchell

  The Java language enables the creation of portable programs which
  can be transmitted over a network and run safely on any computer.
  To support this paradigm, Java compilers typically translate a
  Java program into an intermediate language which can be interpreted
  by any Java Virtual Machine. This intermediate language is a typed,
  machine-independent bytecode language, and it is the foundation
  for many of Java's features, including portability across platforms,
  dynamic type resolution, and run-time type safety. Despite the
  bytecode language's important role in the success of Java, there
  is no precise definition of its type system. We have developed
  a sound type system for a small set of ten bytecode instructions
  which are sufficient to study the type rules associated with object
  creation and initialization. Our type system is based on a system
  previously developed by Stata and Abadi to describe Java bytecode
  subroutines.

  We begin by developing a model of the Java Virtual Machine's bytecode
  interpreter using the standard framework of structured operational
  semantics. We then formulate syntax-directed type rules for the
  bytecodes in our language. We show our type system is sound by
  proving that any well-typed program will not produce a run-time
  type error.

  In addition, we integrate the earlier work of Stata and Abadi to
  develop a sound type system encompassing both bytecode subroutines
  and object initialization. We have used the soundness proof for
  this system to understand the relationship between uninitialized
  objects and subroutines. This analysis has led to the discovery
  of a previously unpublished bug in Sun's implementation of the
  bytecode verifier that allows a program to use an object before
  it has been initialized.

  This work is part of an effort to specify a type system for the
  whole bytecode language. Once this system has been developed, we
  can formally specify type safety for a compiled Java program and
  precisely describe the security guarantees which can be made by
  the verifier. In addition, this study may lead to more expressive,
  but simpler, typed intermediate languages in the future.

  Thanks to Martin Abadi and Raymie Stata (DEC SRC) for their assistance
  on this project.

Martin Abadi, Stephen Freund, John Mitchell, and Raymie Stata