[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[NIKHIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU: [gtl@electron.lcs.mit.edu: Practice job talk: Subtyping among Abstract Data Types]]

Date: Mon 21 Mar 88 14:27:28-EST
From: Rishiyur S. Nikhil <NIKHIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: [gtl@electron.lcs.mit.edu: Practice job talk: Subtyping among Abstract Data Types]
To: csg@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU

To: nikhil@xx.lcs.mit.edu, gifford@xx.lcs.mit.edu, hewitt@xx.lcs.mit.edu
Date: 21 Mar 88 14:13:55 EST (Mon)
From: gtl@electron.lcs.mit.edu

You, and any graduate students that might be interested, are invited
to a practice job talk on Tues., March 22 (tomorrow), at 2:30 PM in NE43-512a.
The talk is entitled "Subtyping among Abstract Data Types" and will last about
an hour.  Sorry for the short notice.

The following is the talk's abstract.

Subtyping can be exploited in object-oriented languages, such as Smalltalk-80,
that have generic invocation (or message passing) mechanisms.
The problem is how to decide when one abstract data type is a subtype
of another type, based on their specifications.
I will present relevant examples of abstract types
whose specifications are indeterminate (or loose) and nondeterministic.
These examples will sharpen our intuition about subtyping
and lead us to a description of subtyping as a relation
among abstract data types that can be observed by programs.
This contrasts with other descriptions of subtyping,
which have largely ignored abstract data types and their specifications.

	Gary Leavens
-------