How to install Wordpress in a SEAS account.
- Make sure you have CGI enabled on Fling or Alliance for the account where you want to install Wordpress.
- You will also need a MySQL database.
- Connect to the account via the command line.
- Create a directory called "dynamic" within your html directory:
chmod 755 dynamic
- From within the dynamic directory, run the following commands to get the Wordpress installation files:
tar xfzp latest.tar.gz
- Visit your Wordpress site to finish the installation process:
- Fill in your database information:
- Database Name: the account name
- Username: the account name
- Password: your MySQL password
- Database Host: localhost
- Table Prefix: use the default unless you are installing another instance of Wordpress using the same database.
- Follow the rest of the steps of the installation.
- After the installation is complete, you may see an error when trying to access your site and will need to change the permissions on the
.htaccessfile created by WordPress. Run this command from within your wordpress directory:
chmod 644 .htaccess
- You will also need to change the permissions on the config file to make sure no one can see your MySQL password. Run this command from within your wordpress directory:
chmod 600 wp-config.php
- Disable the Wordpress Pingback feature as described here: Disabling XML-RPC pingback
Enable permalinks if you want friendly URLs. Log into your Wordpress site and select Settings > Permalinks > Post name. Save your changes. This enables friendly URLs based on the post name. Other naming schemes are also available.
Important: Try to make this decision as soon as possible, as permalinks are incompatible with the original URLs generated by Wordpress.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.