How to install Wordpress in a SEAS account.
- Make sure you have CGI enabled on Fling or Alliance for the account where you want to install Wordpress.
- You will also need a MySQL database.
- Connect to the account via the command line.
- Create a directory called "dynamic" within your html directory:
chmod 755 dynamic
- From within the dynamic directory, run the following commands to get the Wordpress installation files:
tar xfzp latest.tar.gz
- Visit your Wordpress site to finish the installation process:
- Fill in your database information.
Database Name: the account name
Username: the account name
Password: your MySQL password
Database Host: either fling.seas.upenn.edu or alliance.seas.upenn.edu, depending where you are running CGI
Table Prefix: the default is fine unless you are installing a second instance of Wordpress using the same database.
- Follow the rest of the steps of the installation.
- After the installation is complete, you will need to change the permissions on the config file to make sure no one can see your MySQL password. Run this command from within your wordpress directory:
chmod 600 wp-config.php
- Disable the Wordpress Pingback feature as described here: Disabling XML-RPC pingback
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.