Resources and Groups at Penn Engineering
Advancing Women in Engineering (AWE): This office runs programs designed to attract women students to science and engineering as well as programs that help with recruitment and retention of students.
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI): This office focuses on recruitment/retention and ensuring the success of students from underrepresented racial groups, first generation low income (FGLI) students, and/or those declaring LGBTQ status.
Underrepresented Student Advisory Board in Engineering (USABE): The Faculty Diversity Committee, along with OD&I, has overseen and supported the creation of the USABE, which is comprised of diverse student-leaders including underrepresented minorities, women, first-generation low-income (FGLI) and LGBTQ students. The USABE meets with the Dean at least once per semester for dialogue on issues related to diversity and inclusion.
Penn Engineering both encourages and partners with student-run organizations, some with chapters nationwide, that focus on encouraging STEM diversity and inclusion. Organizations within Penn Engineering include:
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Women in Computer Science (WICS)