- News + Events
- News + Events
Penn Engineering, through initiatives in Advancing Women in Engineering (AWE) and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, (ODI) has been working diligently to recruit and retain women and underrepresented students, and to enhance the inclusivity of the Penn Engineering community. These efforts have made a significant difference, and Penn Engineering works to ensure the continued growth of this cohort.
Enrollment of undergraduate women in Penn Engineering is above the national average. Our numbers are particularly encouraging in computer science, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering, which have traditionally been male-dominated disciplines.
Engineering and STEM disciplines have work to do nationwide with respect to underrepresented minority enrollment. We will continue to increase participation and improve the experience and graduation rates of women and underrepresented minorities including African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino and Native American Pacific Islander students.
To help us better support students who identify as members of the LGBTQ community, we are working closely with the Penn LGBT Center.
Programs and Initiatives
Advancing Women in Engineering freshman pre-orientation program
Penn Pre-Freshman Program (PFP)
Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion peer coaching program
- James Clark Scholars Program, which places an emphasis on attracting engineering students who have a demonstrated financial need and first-generation college students.
The NSF/LSAMP Undergraduate Research Program, of which Penn Engineering is a charter member, funds research opportunities for students belonging to underrepresented groups and encourages students to explore doctoral studies in engineering and related disciplines.
Additional undergraduate research experiences that have a focus on attracting underrepresented and women participants include:
- Center for Engineering MechanoBiology REU
- General Robotics Automation Sensing and Perception (GRASP) Lab
- Littlejohn Undergraduate Research Program
- Materials Research Science & Engineering Center (MRSEC) Undergraduate Research Experience (REU)
- Rachleff Scholars Program
- Singh Center for Nanotechnology Research for Undergraduate Experience (REU)
- Summer UNdergraduate Fellowship in Sensor Technologies (SUNFEST)